Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN Channel API

Hello,

This time i want to set up a CAN communication via the Channel API.

I read the documentation 3-4 times up and down, but unfortunately it won't work.
Does someone have some experience in using the Channel API?

Even if I would get messages, i don't really know what to do with it, because its a DBL value and not bytes, like I get when using the Frame API. Would be great if someone could explain, how to convert the received data and how to prepare the data to be ready for sending.

I attached my vi here, if you like to see what I made wrong smile.gif

Thanks in advance,

Vayu

PS: my system specs are:

Windows XP
LabView 7.1
PCI-CAN/XS2 (series 2)

Message Edited by Vayu_ on 09-26-2005 05:26 AM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,107 Views)
i wonder why the CAN Channel API is considered for beginners in the manual pdf and the frames are for advanced users.

on the whole NI page there are only examples for use of the Frame API 🙂 but non of for the Channel API.

i am really despairing here .... 😞
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,091 Views)

The Channel API's were recently updated when DAQmx came out, they were redesigned to work more like the new DAQmx tasks.  Since they have not been around as long in their present form, there are not as many examples as the frame API.  I find the NEW channel API's great for setting up a quick task to do data collection, and easier to syncronize with physical channels than they used to be.

As for your VI, the data coming out as type DBL is preferrable in some cases, especially if you want to graph the received data.

As for the other questions, I guess you need to clarify what your problem is.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,081 Views)
ok 🙂

my problem is the following. i do not receive any msg's

i also have a CAN Receive (frames).vi which receives the msg's sent with "Peak USB CAN" But the vi i attached does not receive the msg's the output is always 0,00
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,070 Views)
One thing I notice is you have not connected all the error clusters, and you have no error indicator, these would be helpful to connect to see if there is a problem.  Most of the CAN functions will NOT execute if an error is active, run the VI with the error indicator wired and see what errors show up.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,044 Views)