Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brake control heavy trucks through OBD-II

Does anyone know if it's possible to control the brakes of heavy trucks like Volvo or Scania through the OBD-II connector using LabVIEW? I know that the brake pedal of these trucks contain a potmeter. How can this be solved? I would probably use a USB or Bluetooth OBD-II adapter like ELM327 to communicate with computer and labVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,334 Views)

I would really hope we don't have a brake by wire system in big trucks.  I've seen far too many wires in a car chewed by mice and other animals to want to rely on them to stop a massive truck.  I guess there is always some kind of point of failure but still.

I'm also not sure how big a heavy truck is, or what model that might be.  I do not know of any consumer vehicle made by any OEM that has the brake controled through a in vehicle message.  And even if it was, I would suspect lots of security through seed and key to prevent someone like you from activating the brake through the ODB-II port.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,321 Views)

Yes, I'm sure this is not a walk in the park. The reason why I ask is because I'm going to start a new job in a few month as a LabView programmer for a company. They have started developing a software in corporation with the highway authorities and a heavy truck company as I understand, and I'm having some new ideas...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,310 Views)

Dear Paalbrok,

If you like to come up with new ideas I think it's fine.
However, I think it it more about a security issue than the ability to control this function as Hooovahh point out.

If we look at the connectivity I can highly recommend you to have a look at the CAN or XNET interface. It all depends on the interface of the truck.  
https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/category/cables.html?productId=118157

I believe that this is what you are looking for

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,199 Views)