From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brake control heavy trucks through OBD-II

Does anyone know if it's possible to control the brakes of heavy trucks like Volvo or Scania through the OBD-II connector using LabVIEW? I know that the brake pedal of these trucks contain a potmeter. How can this be solved? I would probably use a USB or Bluetooth OBD-II adapter like ELM327 to communicate with computer and labVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,329 Views)

I would really hope we don't have a brake by wire system in big trucks.  I've seen far too many wires in a car chewed by mice and other animals to want to rely on them to stop a massive truck.  I guess there is always some kind of point of failure but still.

I'm also not sure how big a heavy truck is, or what model that might be.  I do not know of any consumer vehicle made by any OEM that has the brake controled through a in vehicle message.  And even if it was, I would suspect lots of security through seed and key to prevent someone like you from activating the brake through the ODB-II port.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,316 Views)

Yes, I'm sure this is not a walk in the park. The reason why I ask is because I'm going to start a new job in a few month as a LabView programmer for a company. They have started developing a software in corporation with the highway authorities and a heavy truck company as I understand, and I'm having some new ideas...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,305 Views)

Dear Paalbrok,

If you like to come up with new ideas I think it's fine.
However, I think it it more about a security issue than the ability to control this function as Hooovahh point out.

If we look at the connectivity I can highly recommend you to have a look at the CAN or XNET interface. It all depends on the interface of the truck.  
https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/category/cables.html?productId=118157

I believe that this is what you are looking for

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,194 Views)