From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi all,

I am working with the USB-8476 and have a question about signal quality.  Attached is a screenshot of the output of the module for reference.  The 8476 is configured in master mode. 

The screenshot illustrates the LIN bus output.  Note the output remains the same regardless of if it is connected to the LIN bus or not.  As you can see from the image, the bus bits do not appear to be reaching their voltage rails, and this is causing occasional LIN bus errors / retries.

Has anyone seen this issue before or have ideas as to why the signal quality is so poor?  I have tried another 8476 and the signal looks the same.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,341 Views)

Do you have master termination enabled?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,337 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  Our software group says they have it enabled, and from measurements it appears the pullup is there.  Using a current probe I see ~12mA during low activations, which is about a 1k pullup.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,335 Views)

Hi denikar

I will like to ask you some questions in order to have more information about what might be causing this issue.

How are you measuring that signal? Which is the sampling rate of that oscilloscope?

How long is the cable that you are using to communicate the master with the slave?

What kind of environment do you have in the lab or around the devices?

Which power supply are you using for the LIN communication?

Regards

Esteban R.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,280 Views)

Hi Esteban,

Thanks for the reply.  Answers to your questions are below.

How are you measuring that signal? Which is the sampling rate of that oscilloscope?

The scope sampling rate for that capture was 1 million samples per second.

How long is the cable that you are using to communicate the master with the slave?

About 12" long.  It goes immediately to a fiber-optic LIN bridge.  The signal looks the same even with the cable disconnected from the fiber-optic bridge.

What kind of environment do you have in the lab or around the devices?

It is in a control room.  Room temperature, controlled humidity, no high current devices or cables nearby.

Which power supply are you using for the LIN communication?

A standard linear laboratory 3A bench top power supply, set to 12V. 

Regards,

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,271 Views)

Hi,

What is the status of each of the LEDs on the 8476 during operation?

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,253 Views)