From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Additional NI Software Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QFang

my NI "CAR tracking and status tool", ideally tied to the web "service request manager" (Had to choose "MAX" as "label"...)

This is a bit of a feature request for the service request manager and/or as a stand-alone (my NI web) tool!  

It is needed because the NI webpage makes it terribly hard to search for CAR#'s and a CAR# is only listed when solved, and only listed for the one version where it was resolved, making it nigh-on impossible to check lists of (new) CAR#s and get notified when they are resolved.

For example, I know this CAR exists, but I'm not sure if it has been resolved and the NI search just didn't find it, or if does not exist (user input error for example) or anything..

no car in search.png

1. The tool should reside on "my NI" but it should be possible to export/share the list of monitored CAR's (so colleageus/companies can maintain one master list of company relevant CAR's).
  2. The tool should connect/check against NI (ideally directly to a back-end database) and return any "public" information related to a CAR, such as "in progress", "known work-around", "details" etc. along with driver/software version where it was resolved (if any).
  3. The tool should present a clear list (ideally with green checkmarks / red cross icons) showing the status of each CAR and maybe a synopsis/one-liner from the description to indicate what problem the number is for.
  4. wish-list added feature:  allow (on a per user basis) the user to add personal notes to a CAR (e.g. this affects projects x, y and z, once resolved, refactor those projects to remove performance intensive work-arounds!) or similar.
  5. e-mail notification (optional/configurable) when the status changes on any of the tracked CAR's.

As far as how it relates to the service request manager, I would prefer a separate tool but that it also can link to the service request manager as outlined below:

A small but significant number of tickets either relate to, or create one or more CAR#'s (or at least mine seem to create a large amount of CAR's).

When a support tech adds / associates a ticket# with a CAR#, ideally this CAR# would be automatically added to the user's CAR Tracking list..

In addition it would be great if the back-end database tracked CAR#'s and offered up a list of these numbers in the webpage overview, for example next to the "status" column. Taking it a step further, it would be very nice if NI could make it simpler to check if a CAR has been resolved and if so, what version of LabVIEW it was resolved in/with. This information could be displayed in the same web page table, or a new page to itself. The "Status" column could then also be expanded with a green check-mark if (all) associated CAR#'s have been resolved..

Tracking CAR's and manually trying to search and check them off lists locally is labor intensive, especially since the web-page "search" does not do even a passable job when you enter CAR numbers.

QFang
-------------
CLD LabVIEW 7.1 to 2016
1 Comment
QFang
Active Participant

Thanks for the up-vote Raven's Fan,  too bad that a) I had to post this in the "MAX" section (no section created thats appropriate) and b) that I'm not getting more traction on this.. Surely I'm not the only developer that finds the whole CAR# experience frustrating and next to useless?

QFang
-------------
CLD LabVIEW 7.1 to 2016