Additional NI Software Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PelleS

Simplified Device Drivers Installer

The current Device Driver Installer dialog is not obvious to use. First of all you have to figure out which drivers that you need for your products and then you would probably prefer to remove other unnecessary drivers. However, this is a tedious process with a lot of dependencies. 

I have seen many people just installing everything (with its drawbacks) to be safe, eventhough they only needed the NI RIO driver.

Picture2.png

I'd like to see a more user friendly dialog where drivers are automatically selected.

My suggestion is that the user instead filters out the drivers on a product level like this:

Picture1.png

Let say you choose Modular Instruments. Then next page could let you filter on what type of instrument you have; Scopes, FlexRIO, DMMs, RF, Switching etc...

One of the buttons in the bottom would be something like "Add more products?" so you could iterate this process and finally all needed drivers would be filtered out.

What do you think?

/Pelle - NI Sweden

Pelle S
Account Manager
National Instruments Sweden
2 Comments
LordNobady

Only if the old one is still available. If I want to install a lot of drivers the old method is faster.

Indeed if you need only one or 2 your method is better.

Learning LabVIEW since January 2013
JKSH
Active Participant

Good idea! I was overwhelmed when I installed drivers for the first time. After over a year of experience I'm more comfortable with it now, but... it was a steep learning curve.

@LordNobady wrote:

Only if the old one is still available. If I want to install a lot of drivers the old method is faster.

Indeed if you need only one or 2 your method is better.

This new idea can be the "Simple" version, and the old one can be the "Advanced" version

Certified LabVIEW Developer