Additional NI Software Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryan_S

NI VeriStand: Auto Expand System Explorer Tree to First Set of Branches

When configuring a system definition file in VeriStand, you can spend a lot of time expanding all of the tree items even if there's only one other item under it. I think it would be nice if the tree auto expanded down to the first set of user-added branches. For example, say I have a simple System Definition as shown below:

sysdef.PNG

If I want to get down to the CAN port I've added, I need to expand Controller, Hardware, Chassis, NI-XNET, and CAN. It would be nice if, assuming the only hardware I've added is the CAN Port, that when I expand Hardware it automatically expands all the way down to CAN 1 since it's the first node I've added. Obviously if I'd also added a DAQ card I'd be ok with it only expanding down to under chassis. Alternatively, or in addition, a button that completely expands the currently highlighted section would be nice.

2 Comments
timtamslam
Active Participant

Its an interesting idea... but I see some complications.

Expanding down to the first set of user added branches would be tough...

• How would the sysdef xml keep track of a modification? (diff the guids against a template, I guess?)
  • What happens when you have multiple targets?
  • What about user added sections in custom devices and models?
  • What about programmatically created sdf's, which did the user create first there?

The problem I see is with the justifying which branches to open, and which to leave closed. I think "first set of user-added branches" is a bit difficult to realize because everyone would likely want different behavior.

Thankfully... there is a way already built into VeriStand to approach this problem. Check it out...

Head to,

Tools > Options > System Explorer Environment

There is an option for Maximum automatic expansion level

sysdefmaxlevel.png

Modifying that will increases/decrease the number of opened branches.

Give it a go! I think it will give you the user experience you're looking for Cat Very Happy

Tim A.
timtamslam
Active Participant

In the end though... I think we can both agree that the full amount of control would be best!

A Menu item like this?

branches to expand.PNG

Tim A.