Additional NI Software Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
h_yong

Add to CAN information channel: Time since last received frame

The built in CAN information channels for timestamp and time difference are useful. However, to detect a dead CAN network, I'd really like to know the time since a message was last received. The time difference doesn't work because it waits for a next frame before computing the time difference. If I have a 10 Hz frame that is not coming in, it will just display 0.10 s even if no new frames come in. I'd like to have a time since the last message so I can detect if the message is no longer coming in. I was thinking of doing a difference between system time and the most recent receive time, but system time is relative to the start of VeriStand while the CAN receive time seems to refer to real world time. I hear that real world time will be available in VeriStand 2012, so we can more easily do this checking in a calculated channel, but it'd be great to have this feature as a CAN information channel. Thank you.

2 Comments
Jarrod_S.
Active Participant

Doesn't the timestamp tell you this implicitly? Can you create a calculated channel that subtracts the timestamp CAN channel from the Absolute Time system channel?

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
h_yong
Active Participant

Unfortunately there is no Absolute Time system channel for VeriStand 2011, only (relative) System Time.