From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oscilloscope

can someone explain to me what the different between digital phosphor oscilloscope and digital storage oscilloscope.

thank you. Smiley Tongue
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,843 Views)
This question has nothing to do with NI-Elvis, LabVIEW SE, or any NI product that I can tell. Might I suggest Wikepedia as a starting point for your homework.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,835 Views)
Hi Fati Nagib,

I found a great article that explains the difference between the two here.  Basically, the Digital Storage Oscilliscope (DSO) is the more conventional type of oscilliscope that uses digital memory to store waveforms.  These are limited by the analog input circuitry and the sampling rate.  The Digital Phosphor Oscilliscope (DPO) is a little more advanced using parallel processing and a dedicated CPU to acquire waveforms.  It is also important to note from the article above that the DPO "emulates the display attributes of an analogue oscilloscope, displaying the signal in three dimensions: time, amplitude and the distribution of amplitude over time, all in real time."  If you need more information, I saw quite a few articles on the subject in wikipedia and by searching google.

I hope this helps,
Paul C.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,827 Views)

Thank you for your info. I'll really appreciate it. Can I make a digital phosphor oscilloscope using the NI, labVIEW or anything that can be related with NI? I've search using ni.com and found that we have to use the Textronix DPO with the labVIEW. Is there any other way to replace the Textronix DPO with the NI item?

Thank you in advanced Smiley Wink

Fatihah

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,814 Views)
 Hi Fati Nagib,

National Instruments sells high speed digitizers that perform the functions of an oscilliscope.  We have a variety of different types of digitizers depending on your needs.  I would recommend taking a look here at our digitizer's main page.  We have devices that can be used on the PXI, PCI, and USB form factors.  The phosphor oscilliscope described is more of a stand alone piece of equipment driven by its own processor and memory connected to a PC typically through a serial type connection.  Our high speed digitizers are connected directly in a PC by the PCI bus or directly through USB.  This allows us to bypass the typical bottleneck of the serial port.  In addition, the posphor oscilliscope typically refers to the screen or method of displaying the data.  The data for our digitizers is sent from the card through the bus to the PC and then displayed using software.  This software could be written in LabVIEW, Visual Studio, or various other programming languages.  The way the data is displayed will be dependant on the software and how it is programmed.  In short, I would recommend taking a look at the High speed digitizers we offer and see if they meet the specific requirements of your application in terms of sampling rate, channel count, resolution, etc.  If there is a specific feature of the phosphor oscilliscope that you require, I would be happy to check those features on our digitizers.  Many of these features can be seen by searching the above link and looking into the device manuals on the specific devices.

I hope this helps,
Paul C.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(7,798 Views)

The difference is the DSO will store one single record, possibly for Eternity. The DPO will make a compromise with Eternity, storing the more recent traces bright and the more older ones, gradually fainting. In this way, if you have a steady signal with short transients un-synchronized with it, you will catch a glimpse of the transients and you will be able to synchronize with the transients, or use single-shot to get them. Also, in a lot of noise, you will have the opportunity to see what's the signal you are synchronized on, because that one will be brighter. If you can understand these things you will find great comfort and use for the phosphorescence (or persistance). It helps "unblock" you many times. "Phosphorescence" is just a romantic term for "persistance" stemming from the most available material having this property, Phosphor. The idea is the beam of electrons hits the Phosphorus, and the Phosphorus emits light after that, fainting slowly over time. This effect can easily be implemented in software. Tektronix made a big fuss about introducing the effect using a specialized chip. Well, far from mocking Tektronix, but the "specialized chip" thing is a joke. The real thing Tektronix did was to realize the need and the use for this kind of display. Probably some old experienced engineers insisted on doing it, and the PR from Tektronix insisted it must be a "specialized chip". The "specialized chip" is a joke, any Pentium 120MHz can implement digital Phosphorus well enough. I've seen it in 1999 🙂 However, the "digital Phosphor" effect can be extended a lot using digital processing. This is no longer a limitation of chips. They can do anything you want, only if you make up your mind. From the simple exponential decaying curve of the original Phosphor, to any combination of colors and decaying speeds you can think of, and even waveform recognition and highlighting. All you have to do is ask, preferably in good LabVIEW 🙂 You can ask anything from a computer in LabVIEW 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,714 Views)