From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help getting a voltage and current reading with myDAQ

I have set up a VI using the DAQ assistant with the myDAQ, I am using the ai0 port for a voltage reading and using the DMM for my current reading, the circuit is working as I am measuring the voltage on a resistor after the ammeter but I am unable to get a current reading in order for it to work. If I have something wired wrong please let me know, thank you. My circuit is a 12VAC power supply, going through a potentiometer to drop the voltage to 8VAC, which passes through a resistor, ammeter is in series after this and attached to another resistor to complete my loop, the AI0 for my volt meter is connected across the second resistor, I have the proper voltage reading when I run the VI, but am unable to get a current reading to display. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,385 Views)

When you say you're unable to get the current to display, do you mean in a graph? If so, unless I'm mistaken the issue is that you don't have a chart or graph wired to the output of the VI reading in current data. If you add another chart to your front panel and wire it to the output of the VI reading current (like you have done already with the voltage) then you should see your current readings.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,358 Views)

I mean I can't get a proper current reading as a numeric value, I have my power supply going to a potentiometer to change my voltage level and then have 2 resistors, I am measuring the current between the 2 resistors. By doing so I am getting a value but not the same value I am getting on my multimeter, I am also having trouble with the calculation using the formula R=V/I in my formula node. If I use input controls I can get the formula to work properly, as soon as I connect it to the outputs of what I am trying to read, the formula node doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,348 Views)

It sounds like maybe the convert from dynamic data VI isn't doing what you expect it to be doing. Have you tried using the debugging tools to make sure that the array (and its elements) generated by the convert VI contains what you'd expect it to contain?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,333 Views)