Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myRio Cannot setup WiFi

Ok for my PC I set it up for 10.0.0.10 or some such 255.0.0.0 and it worked fine with this IP connecting to the Rio. When set on DHCP it doesn't work at all. For the WIFI, I set the myRIO wi-fi to be DHCP and it grabs an IP from the router. I have my own router set up since the UNI does not like me connecting devices to their network and its faster too. So this is in effect a private network.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 29
(7,905 Views)

When you say you set the PC to 10.0.0.10 do you mean the PCs physical ethernet adapter or the virtual ethernet adapter that the myRIO enumerates as?

(when you plug the myRIO into your PC via USB it shows up as a virtual ethernet adapter.  By default the PC side of the adapter with get 172.22.11.1 as its IP address and the myRIO gets 172.22.11.2, however you can change both ends manually.  This is completely separate from the physical ethernet adapter in your PC).

Thanks!

-Sam K

LabVIEW Hacker

Join / Follow the LabVIEW Hacker Group on google+

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 29
(7,903 Views)

If I Open Network and sharing centre it shows that it has added a local area connection of some sort (see attached) which has obtain an IP automatically on it. It connects to the myRIo no problem and I can run programs. However, I cannot use the web based setup unless I change my main local area connection to be a fixed "dummy" IP ie 10.0.0.10 say. (thats the Intel Gigabit network of the Uni). I must admit all these connection is a bit confusing!

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 29
(7,901 Views)

Ok, so the network adapter you posted a picture of is the virtual network adapter that myRIO shows up as.  You can think of that as the myRIO USB connection (which is actually 'ethernet over USB').

Changing settings on the other network adapter should not directly affect the myRIO.  It may, however change some software settings on your computer, for example your firewall settings.  Does your PC have a firewall enabled.  Maybe the windows firewall, or some software that your school makes you install to connect to their network?

When you are connected to the school network and you disconnect and reconnect the myRIO's usb cable you should see a splash screen that reports the myRIO IP address.  Is it always 172.22.11.2?

Don't worry I still have a number of ideas for you to try.

Thanks!

-Sam K

LabVIEW Hacker

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 29
(7,897 Views)

Yes, the IP address is always the same when I disconnect and re-connect.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 29
(7,895 Views)

(I sent you a private message.)

What about the firewall stuff?

Thanks!

-Sam K

LabVIEW Hacker

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 29
(7,891 Views)

Yes it's firewalled ok!

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 29
(7,887 Views)

Hey tomnz,

Do you have any updates on this?  Where you able to tell if it is the firewall blocking the connection to the myRIO when you're connected to the school network?

-Sam K

LabVIEW Hacker

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 29
(7,872 Views)

Thanks for your help. I got it all working at last by making an ad-hoc network of my own. I made a video too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO9j6NxTXQA&feature=youtu.be

Message 19 of 29
(7,867 Views)

Awesome video, I'm glad to see you got everything working.

-Sam K

LabVIEW Hacker

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 29
(7,863 Views)