Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myRIO shared variable problem

Hi,

I ran into a problem I cant solve myself, maybe someone here can help me.

I cant share variable s from "My Computer" to myRIO. I set up a shared variable, and I cannot get it to show up in myRIO's vi? I connected the variable to a slider on a VI that's on "My Computer," and I want it to show and change in real time on myRIO's VI.

If I try to share a variable from myRIO to My Computer everything works fine.

What am I missing?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(7,396 Views)

Rok,

Are you shared variables being hosted on your computer or the myRIO?  Ideally, for troubleshooting, both variables should be in the same library.

If you look at the variables in Distributed System Manager, do they show up and update as expected?

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(7,385 Views)

Jacobson, thank you for your reply.

I tried both ways - I created both variables fir on my computer and then on myrio, but none of the ways is woking. im attaching a screenshot of the connections.

I tried this: in the tools toolbar I selected options and added my computer any myRIO to the shared variable engine. What happens then is very strange. I get the to see both variables, but sometimes it takes up to a minute until they update, and sometimes the changeis visible right away?

I am not sure - but I dont know where to find the Distributed System Manager.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(7,369 Views)

Hi RokCapuder,

1. If you create an indicator on the error output of the network shared variable, do you get any warning ?

2. Can you check if you have properly installed Network Shared Variable Engine? Additionally, you can format myRIO and install all the software on it.

Best regards,

IR

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(7,349 Views)

Hi,

Sorry, I am having a similar problem with myRIO. I can write a Network Shared Variable (NSV) from myRIO to my computer, but not the other way round. I just create a simple project from scratch, with 2 VIs - one on my computer, the other on myRIO target. Then I create 2 NSVs on each VI (write). They also read the NSV from the other VI. The strange thing is it only works one way. I am a novice Labview user, can anyone help? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,994 Views)

It might be helpful to post a zip file of the project you are working off of but there are a few common problems that we can check.

From what I understand, you have a single VI on your computer and on your myRIO.  Each VI is writing to one shared variable and reading from another so that one variable is going from the host to myRIO and the other from your myRIO to host.

If only one direction is working, do both of the variables being used belong to the same library?  If they are not, make sure you are deploying both libraries from the project (right-click the library).  If both variables are part of the same library, are  you monitoring errors coming from the shared variables?  Are you able to force any values through distributed system manager and see them update your variables?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,988 Views)

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply.

Attached my project. The variables are in different libraries, both were deployed. I had set 'disable autodeploy', so i have to deploy the variables manually, otherwise there will be an error. I didn't monitor the errors from the variables.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(6,976 Views)

Nothing seems immediately wrong to me but I don't have a myRIO to test this with at home.  I would try two things.

1. Monitor errors to see what is happening.  A simple indicator off of both the shared variables on each VI should be fine

2. You are able to write to a NSV from your myRIO and read it from your computer.  Can you create another NSV in the same library that one is hosted and try to write on your host computer and read from your myRIO?

Message 8 of 9
(6,956 Views)

Hi Matt,

Thanks! No. 2 works!

I still don't know why I can put the variable in the library on my host computer. My local FAE said it might be windows firewall, but i am too lazy to debug.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(6,926 Views)