From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

max DIO speed with myRIO?

Hi,

I want to use myRIO for high-speed digital counter and high-speed output of the counter result. Namely, 200 MHz counter inside the FPGA for the random pulse train signal input and output the counter result via the 8-bit DIO at 50 MHz (i.e., 50 pulses -> 00110010b output).

However, I am wondering what the max DIO speed of the myRIO could achieve. I have read the article, "RIO Mezzanine Card Digital I/O Capabilities for Single-Board RIO." In general, (if I am right...), it said that the system could achieve fast rate with simple circuit design and careful loading impedance match. It is possible for the RMC connector on the sbRIO hardware which directly connect to the FPGA DIO ports without complex circuits on the DIO lines. In that article, it could achieve asynchronous input/output at 60 MHz.

Since myRIO is a simple and compact RIO hardware and according to myRIO-1900 manual, the DIO line shows below:

Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 8.21.26 PM.png

Although I am not sure what the bus switch is, the DIO-line diagrams of MXP and MSP seem to be simple enough to be seem as be directly connected to FPGA. Is myRIO suitable or possible for my project which needs DIO operated at 50 MHz?

If myRIO can't afford the DIO speed, is there any suggested NI FPGA hardware for high-bandwidth DIO request?

If there is any suggestion or references, please let me know. Appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,730 Views)

Hello, I want to ask the same question, have you solve your problem??

I want to use the NI MyRio 1900 to output two channel of PWM singals, the frequency of the PWM is 6.78MHz. The frequency is so high that I cannot use the secondary digital functions for the PWM output. Since there is a FPGA inside the MyRio, I am wondering whether I can use the FPGA to output the PWM directly.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,403 Views)