Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

load cell and LVDT position sensor

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear Fellows:

have a:
1 omega load cell 5000 Lb  LC101-5K LC111-5K
1 position sensor LVDT model LD621-50 0 to 50 mm
I would like to use both sensors with my NI MYRIO to register load forces and displacements simultaneously in a universal testing machine and pass this data to a excel chart and see a load vs displacement graph in real time in my laptop screen.

I need your advice how to satrt with this project

Jose Luis Hernandez

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,809 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tuchito

Hi there;

So first thing you should think about is the signal conditioning you will require. The myRIO is an awesome tool but does not include signal conditioning. . For the load cell you will need excitation voltage and you will be reading a resistor value, so you need to build a wheatstone bridge to do so. Have a look at the following link; Measuring Strain Gauges

As for the LVDT; they operate on the principle of a transformer and consist of a stationary coil assembly and a moveable core. An LVDT measures displacement by associating a specific signal value for any given position of the core. LVDT signal conditioners generate a sine wave for the primary output signal and synchronously demodulate the secondary output signal. The demodulated output is passed through a lowpass filter to remove high-frequency ripple. The resulting output is a DC voltage proportional to core displacement. The sign of the DC voltage indicates whether the displacement is to the left or right.

You can take advantage of the FPGA chip in your myRIO and use this example 

Finally to save data to excel, you have several ways to do it; the easiest one is to use the Report Express VI or you can use the write to spreadsheet VI.

Hope this info helps

Greetings

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,791 Views)

Thank you Marisol

I will try your advice.

Jose Luis from Bolivia

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,784 Views)