From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

executing program on myRIO with access to controls via wifi

Solved!
Go to solution

I built balancing robot using myRIO. It does perform very well and I can control it over wifi. The setup I have now is pretty straight forward: I can control it and set PID and Kalman (gyroscope accelerometer) values. However, there are significant delays associated with wifi connection. So if I am happy with my robot performance over wifi (set all the controls) and then I deploy my program onto myRIO - the robots performance changes since the program is running on myRIO now and there is no bottleneck associated with sending data back and forth between computer and myRIO.

To avoid that: Is it possible to run program on myRIO but have a connection to all necessary controls over wifi?

Regards,

Drakon

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,348 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Drakon

Drakon,

It sounds like you want to use your computer as an HMI that will read to and write from network shared variables that your myRIO can also connect to.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/5484/en/

It is pretty common to push all of the processing over to a real time controller while having a user interface on a computer that will basically just read and write shared variables.  I am not sure if that is what you were asking for though, could you explain what you are currently doing on your myRIO and your computer, the problems you are having with your current configuration and what you are looking to change?

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,337 Views)

Matt - I belive that should do it.

I am basically excuting code on my PC and connecting over wifi to myRIO. Previously I used USB cable and I can see noticable difference between the two methods.Morever, when code is deployed on myRIO - it performs even better than over USB. So ideally the solution you provided - using shared variables should be the best.

BTW: is this available on student edition of labview?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,323 Views)