Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is best for my project? myRIO or myDAQ?

Hello,

I'm conducting some research on electroculography. I must be able to measure the resting potential of the retina in the human eye. The eye acts as a dipole in which the anterior pole is positive and the posterior pole is negative. 1. Left gaze: the cornea approaches the electrode near the outer canthus of the left eye, resulting in a negative-trending change in the recorded potential difference. 2. Right gaze: the cornea approaches the electrode near the inner canthus of the left eye, resulting in a positive-trending change in the recorded potential difference.

I want build an instrument that acts as an oscilloscope reading multiple electrodes and then does something with these values. I know some people would suggest the myDAQ due to it's data acquisition abilities, but I want this whole thing to work from one device so that it can be multi platform and not need any software to excute code on the computer (hence the myRIO idea). The reason I also suggested the myRIO, is because I want the instrument to also work like a simple plug and play mouse. I'm assuming you can see what I'm try to do now. (If not, I am trying to create a device that moves the mouse on a computer by tracking the position of the eye based on its polarity) I thought about doing this project with an arduino, but I have had to learn the hard way that they are greatly underpowered. I know the new myRIO's have ARM processors, so that should be a big help.

So.. Which one is best few what I need? Please keep in mind that I'm on a budget.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(10,112 Views)

From what I understand of you project I would definitely recommend the NI myRIO simply because it has both a processor and a FPGA. So you not only can program custom I/O exactly how you need it, but you'll be able to access that I/O directly on the myRIO. The myDAQ may be a simplier start up depending on your background, but the myRIO can be tailored quite a bit more to fit the needs of a specific application. Hope that this helps some and good luck on the project! It sounds awesome!

dK
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(10,100 Views)

The guys from Waterloo labs did something similar: http://goo.gl/JkOy

They used a sbRIO, which is very similar to myRIO and you should have no problem doing this with myRIO.  More info on their setup can be found here: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/11966/en/.  You may even be able to re-use some of their code.

-Sam K

LabVIEW Hacker

Join / Follow the LabVIEW Hacker Group on google+

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(9,998 Views)

according to my point of view there is an advantage to Myrio on myDAQ and autonomy, you can develop autonomous projects, myDAQ needs to be mounting procedures to the computer and this limited, another advantage I can find is that Myrio do image processing and send result remotely hope to bring greetings

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(9,650 Views)