From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toolchain Setup Error? Cannot compile...

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there!

I am trying to set up the C Code Environment but I run into trouble when trying to compile one of the example projects. In general, I followed the instructions within C Support for NI myRIO 1.0 User Guide.

I have been trying this for a while and I am getting the feeling that it is something very simple (but critical), so I am kindly asking for someone's help who has experience with the C Coding Environment.

The error message I get is simply:

17:42:06 **** Rebuild of configuration Debug for project myRIO Example - PWM ****
Info: Internal Builder is used for build
arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc -DMyRio_1900 "-IC:\\Users\\boewie\\workspace\\myRIO\\C Support for NI myRIO\\source" -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -o main.o "..\\main.c"
arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc: CreateProcess: No such file or directory

17:42:06 Build Finished (took 98ms)

Further, in the code editor it says "Unresolved inclusion: [...]" to

#include <stdio.h>
#include <time.h>

Is it possible that the C/C++ standard headers are not properly setup? I have cygwin and MS Visual Studio installed.

The cross compiler can be invoked from the Windows command console, so I assume that the PATH variable is set up correctly.

Do I need to install any generic C/C++ build tools?

Are the spaces withing the C API path critical?

Thanks in advance!

-bowie

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(11,256 Views)

Hello boewie,

I dont think, that you need to install generic C/C++ build tools or the spaces withing the C API path are critical. What i can see in the first place is that there is no reference to the libary folder so the enviromnment can't find the librarys (even if they are standard). 

Maybe this link will help you => http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13482927/cdt-visual-c-support-errors

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(11,220 Views)

Hey boewie,

Are you using eclipse?  If not you should use the C/C++ Development Tools for NI Linux Real-Time, Eclipse Edition 2013 here.

-Sam K

LabVIEW Hacker

Join / Follow the LabVIEW Hacker Group on google+

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(11,215 Views)

Hi!

Thanks for the quick replies!

I do use the NI distribution of Eclipse which comes delovered with the arm cross compiler. To this point, I followed the instructions in

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/14625/de/

and

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/14619/de/

to configure the IDE. Apparently, the code-completion/pre-processor from ecplipse doesn't know the correct paths to the headers. I assume the above document is not complete regarding paths and symbols to be defined in Ecplipse. I will try now to set them up as described here:

http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.cdt.doc.user/tasks/cdt_t_proj_paths.htm

I will provide a status update soon.

-bøwie

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(11,205 Views)

Ok, I reached the next stage. This is what I did:

1) I told Ecplipse the correct include paths (the tutorials omits this step). This solved the unresolved inclusions.

includePaths.png

2) Also, I installed the GNU Core Utils for Windows (version 5.3.0). the command rm is required for a clean up of the project.

3) I copied the three files cc1.exe, cc1++.exe and collect2.exe from

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Eclipse\toolchain\gcc-4.4-arm\i386\libexec\gcc\arm-none-linux-gnueabi\4.4.1

into

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Eclipse\toolchain\gcc-4.4-arm\i386\arm-none-linux-gnueabi\bin

Now, the assembler seems to have issues:

13:25:09 **** Incremental Build of configuration Debug for project myRIO Example - PWM ****
arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc -DMyRio_1900 "-IC:\\Users\\heinbokel\\workspace\\myRIO\\C Support for NI myRIO\\source" "-IC:\\Program Files (x86)\\National Instruments\\Eclipse\\toolchain\\gcc-4.4-arm\\i386\\arm-none-linux-gnueabi\\libc\\usr\\include" "-IC:\\Program Files (x86)\\National Instruments\\Eclipse\\toolchain\\gcc-4.4-arm\\i386\\lib\\gcc\\arm-none-linux-gnueabi\\4.4.1\\include" -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -ansi -o PWM.o "..\\PWM.c"
Assembler messages:
Fatal error: invalid listing option `r'

13:25:10 Build Finished (took 354ms)

Any Ideas?

Thanks for your help!

-bøwie Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(11,197 Views)

here's the verbose compiler lof output:

14:31:34 **** Rebuild of configuration Debug for project myRIO Example - PWM ****
arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc -DMyRio_1900 "-IC:\\Users\\heinbokel\\workspace\\myRIO\\C Support for NI myRIO\\source" "-IC:\\Program Files (x86)\\National Instruments\\Eclipse\\toolchain\\gcc-4.4-arm\\i386\\arm-none-linux-gnueabi\\libc\\usr\\include" "-IC:\\Program Files (x86)\\National Instruments\\Eclipse\\toolchain\\gcc-4.4-arm\\i386\\lib\\gcc\\arm-none-linux-gnueabi\\4.4.1\\include" -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -v -ansi -o "C_Support\\NiFpga.o" "..\\..\\C Support for NI myRIO\\source\\NiFpga.c"
Using built-in specs.
Target: arm-none-linux-gnueabi
Configured with: /scratch/julian/2010q1-release-linux-lite/src/gcc-4.4-2010q1/configure --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --host=i686-mingw32 --target=arm-none-linux-gnueabi --enable-threads --disable-libmudflap --disable-libssp --disable-libstdcxx-pch --enable-extra-sgxxlite-multilibs --with-arch=armv5te --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --with-specs='%{funwind-tables|fno-unwind-tables|mabi=*|ffreestanding|nostdlib:;:-funwind-tables} %{O2:%{!fno-remove-local-statics: -fremove-local-statics}} %{O*:%{O|O0|O1|O2|Os:;:%{!fno-remove-local-statics: -fremove-local-statics}}}' --enable-languages=c,c++ --enable-shared --disable-lto --enable-symvers=gnu --enable-__cxa_atexit --with-pkgversion='Sourcery G++ Lite 2010q1-202' --with-bugurl=https://support.codesourcery.com/GNUToolchain/ --disable-nls --prefix=/opt/codesourcery --with-sysroot=/opt/codesourcery/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc --with-build-sysroot=/scratch/julian/2010q1-release-linux-lite/install/host-i686-mingw32/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc --with-libiconv-prefix=/scratch/julian/2010q1-release-linux-lite/obj/host-libs-2010q1-202-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-mingw32/usr --with-gmp=/scratch/julian/2010q1-release-linux-lite/obj/host-libs-2010q1-202-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-mingw32/usr --with-mpfr=/scratch/julian/2010q1-release-linux-lite/obj/host-libs-2010q1-202-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-mingw32/usr --with-ppl=/scratch/julian/2010q1-release-linux-lite/obj/host-libs-2010q1-202-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-mingw32/usr --with-host-libstdcxx='-static-libgcc -Wl,-Bstatic,-lstdc++,-Bdynamic -lm' --with-cloog=/scratch/julian/2010q1-release-linux-lite/obj/host-libs-2010q1-202-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-mingw32/usr --disable-libgomp --enable-poison-system-directories --with-build-time-tools=/scratch/julian/2010q1-release-linux-lite/obj/tools-i686-pc-linux-gnu-2010q1-202-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-mingw32/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin --with-build-time-tools=/scratch/julian/2010q1-release-linux-lite/obj/tools-i686-pc-linux-gnu-2010q1-202-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-mingw32/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.4.1 (Sourcery G++ Lite 2010q1-202)
COLLECT_GCC_OPTIONS='-DMyRio_1900' '-IC:\Users\heinbokel\workspace\myRIO\C Support for NI myRIO\source' '-IC:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Eclipse\toolchain\gcc-4.4-arm\i386\arm-none-linux-gnueabi\libc\usr\include' '-IC:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Eclipse\toolchain\gcc-4.4-arm\i386\lib\gcc\arm-none-linux-gnueabi\4.4.1\include' '-O0' '-g3' '-Wall' '-c' '-fmessage-length=0' '-v' '-ansi' '-o' 'C_Support\NiFpga.o' '-march=armv5te' '-funwind-tables'
 cc1 -quiet -v -IC:\Users\heinbokel\workspace\myRIO\C Support for NI myRIO\source -IC:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Eclipse\toolchain\gcc-4.4-arm\i386\arm-none-linux-gnueabi\libc\usr\include -IC:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Eclipse\toolchain\gcc-4.4-arm\i386\lib\gcc\arm-none-linux-gnueabi\4.4.1\include -iprefix c:\progra~2\egcs\lib\gcc-lib\arm-none-linux-gnueabi/4.4.1/ -isysroot c:\program files (x86)\national instruments\eclipse\toolchain\gcc-4.4-arm\i386\bin\../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc -dD -DMyRio_1900 ..\..\C Support for NI myRIO\source\NiFpga.c -quiet -dumpbase NiFpga.c -march=armv5te -ansi -auxbase-strip C_Support\NiFpga.o -g3 -O0 -Wall -ansi -version -fmessage-length=0 -funwind-tables -o C:\Users\HEINBO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\ccer4xKK.s
ignoring nonexistent directory "c:\progra~2\egcs\lib\gcc-lib\arm-none-linux-gnueabi/4.4.1/include"
ignoring nonexistent directory "c:\progra~2\egcs\lib\gcc-lib\arm-none-linux-gnueabi/4.4.1/include-fixed"
ignoring nonexistent directory "c:\progra~2\egcs\lib\gcc-lib\arm-none-linux-gnueabi/4.4.1/../../../../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/include"
ignoring nonexistent directory "c:\program files (x86)\national instruments\eclipse\toolchain\gcc-4.4-arm\i386\bin\../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc/opt/codesourcery/lib/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/4.4.1/../../../../include"
ignoring nonexistent directory "c:/progra~2/egcs/lib/gcc-lib/../../lib/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/4.4.1/include"
ignoring nonexistent directory "c:/progra~2/egcs/lib/gcc-lib/../../lib/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/4.4.1/include-fixed"
ignoring nonexistent directory "c:/progra~2/egcs/lib/gcc-lib/../../lib/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/4.4.1/../../../../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/include"
ignoring duplicate directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Eclipse\toolchain\gcc-4.4-arm\i386\arm-none-linux-gnueabi\libc\usr\include"
  as it is a non-system directory that duplicates a system directory
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
 C:\Users\heinbokel\workspace\myRIO\C Support for NI myRIO\source
 C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Eclipse\toolchain\gcc-4.4-arm\i386\lib\gcc\arm-none-linux-gnueabi\4.4.1\include
 c:\program files (x86)\national instruments\eclipse\toolchain\gcc-4.4-arm\i386\bin\../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc/usr/include
End of search list.
GNU C (Sourcery G++ Lite 2010q1-202) version 4.4.1 (arm-none-linux-gnueabi)
    compiled by GNU C version 4.3.2, GMP version 4.3.1, MPFR version 2.4.2.
GGC heuristics: --param ggc-min-expand=100 --param ggc-min-heapsize=131072
Compiler executable checksum: 97312c89a49cb03409c16bf385cf880c
COLLECT_GCC_OPTIONS='-DMyRio_1900' '-IC:\Users\heinbokel\workspace\myRIO\C Support for NI myRIO\source' '-IC:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Eclipse\toolchain\gcc-4.4-arm\i386\arm-none-linux-gnueabi\libc\usr\include' '-IC:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Eclipse\toolchain\gcc-4.4-arm\i386\lib\gcc\arm-none-linux-gnueabi\4.4.1\include' '-O0' '-g3' '-Wall' '-c' '-fmessage-length=0' '-v' '-ansi' '-o' 'C_Support\NiFpga.o' '-march=armv5te' '-funwind-tables'
 as -v -IC:\Users\heinbokel\workspace\myRIO\C Support for NI myRIO\source -IC:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Eclipse\toolchain\gcc-4.4-arm\i386\arm-none-linux-gnueabi\libc\usr\include -IC:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Eclipse\toolchain\gcc-4.4-arm\i386\lib\gcc\arm-none-linux-gnueabi\4.4.1\include -march=armv5te -meabi=5 -o C_Support\NiFpga.o C:\Users\HEINBO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\ccer4xKK.s
GNU assembler version 980830 (i386-mingw32) using BFD version 980830
Assembler messages:
Fatal error: invalid listing option `r'

14:31:35 Build Finished (took 1s.67ms)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(11,193 Views)

My current problem is

arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc: selected multilib '.' not installed

For some reason my system won't compile... Smiley Sad

can anybody help?

-boewie

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(11,181 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author boewie
Message 8 of 11
(11,155 Views)

that was it! I installed the MinGW-w64 - for 32 and 64 bit Windows files and it works!

Thank you all!

-bowie

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(11,148 Views)

Thats great to hear! Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(11,118 Views)