From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set a VI to run at startup on the myRIO when programmed in scan mode

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi forums,

Hoping you can help me out with this please. Sure there must be a simple way for me to do it, but can't seem to find anything through searching on the main NI website....

I'm working with the myRIO platform and simply want a VI to run as soon as the myRIO is powered on (no UI instruction). I've found instructions for how to do it if the myRIO was programmed using the FPGA and the RT host configuration but unfortunately the right-click options aren't available as my project/myRIO are set up using the Scan Engine style mode (giving access to the myRIO palette etc).

Ideally I would prefer to avoid having to recode the system using low level FPGA coding, particularly due to the hefty compile for each iteration of code using real data (testing on PC with Simulated I/O would be quicker I know, but is unlikely to show me the bugs in my code for what I need).

So in simple, could anyone please point me in the right direction for setting a VI to run on start up/boot for the myRIO when it is configured and programmed using the scan engine?

Thanks very much!

Tori
Student
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(11,590 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Tori.M

It turns out, after all of that (several hours trying to find missing options and searching for methods of how to do it!! Smiley Sad it was because the Application Builder had been installed and as such was activated, but NI License Manager was still waiting to finalise the activation (needed the activation wizard running).

Seems to be working now though at least! Definitely wasted a lot of time with it, but it's a learning curve!

So for anyone who's struggling to find options to create a .rtexe file, check that your Application Builder is activated!!

Tori
Student
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(11,581 Views)

Hi Tori,

your Project should have an entry at the very bottom saying "Build Specifications". Right click the entry and select New -> Real-Time Application. From there on it is pretty self explaining.

See also myRIO Help http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/373925A-01/myriohelp/myrio_project_explorer/

As mentioned in this help article, the possibility of creating a stand-alone RT executable also depends on your version of LabVIEW. 

You also want to check your myRIO's System Configuration in regards to whether RT or FPGA Startup Applications are enabled or disabled. Type your myRIO's IP address into your browser and check the Startup Settings on the first page that appears.

Regards
Ingo Foldvari
Area Sales Manager - US West Academic
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(11,579 Views)

Is there a way to restart the startup VI after you have stopped it, without power-cycling the myRIO?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(7,754 Views)

Hi, Tori

I also have trouble  running a myRIO RT-VI which interfaces with a customized FPGA vi as the startup VI, when I power on the myRIO. The process of building specification and deploying were smoothly, I just followed the guide Building and Deploying a Stand-Alone Real-Time Application (Real-Time Module). But the problem is when I power on or restart the myRIO, it seems nothing happened. I wonder whether it may result from I used customized FPGA vi in it or anything else.

Could you give me some details about how you solve your startup problem? I think I can learn something from it to deal with the problem I'm facing. Hoping you help me out with this, thanks a lot.

Kan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(7,254 Views)