From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI ELVISmx Instruments - "No Supported Devices"

I have just installed the software suite that came with my MYDAQ and I have several problems but this is the most pressing. The NI ELVISmx Instruments show "No Supported Devices" in the Device drop down box. I have installed drivers and NIMAX shows my MYDAQ and allows me to run the VISA test panel and adjust settings so it is communicating with the mydaq fine. NIMAX also shows status as present and other unit specific information.

MAX Configuration Report

9/11/2013 3:46:08 PM

MAX Summary

•  My System
    •  Data Neighborhood
    •  Devices and Interfaces
      •  ASRL10::INSTR "LPT1"
      •  Network Devices
      •  NI myDAQ "MyDAQ1"
    •  Scales
    •  Software
      •  LabVIEW 2012 f3
        •  Control Design and Simulation Module
        •  MathScript RT Module
      •  LabVIEW Run-Time 2009 SP1 f6
      •  LabVIEW Run-Time 2010 SP1
      •  LabVIEW Run-Time 2011 SP1 f2
      •  LabVIEW Run-Time 2012 SP1 f3
      •  LabVIEW Run-Time 8.2.1
      •  LabWindows/CVI Run-Time 2010 SP1
      •  Measurement & Automation Explorer 5.5
      •  Measurement Studio for VS2010
        •  DotNET
          •  Common
          •  Common (64-bit)
      •  NI ELVISmx 4.5
      •  NI I/O Trace 3.1.1
      •  NI PXI Platform Services 3.2.2
      •  NI System Configuration 5.5
      •  NI-DAQmx ADE Support 9.7.5
      •  NI-DAQmx Device Driver 9.7.5
      •  NI-DAQmx MAX Configuration 9.7.5
      •  NI-PAL 2.9.1
      •  NI-USI 2.0
      •  NI-VISA 5.4
        •  NiVisaServer.exe
        •  NIvisaic.exe
      •  NI-VISA Runtime 5.4
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(9,668 Views)

Is this ELVIS or ELVIS II?  A simple thing you can try doing is to repair the ELVIS software.

Jesse S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 8
(9,658 Views)

how do you repair the software? I've reinstalled it once...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(9,644 Views)

Nevermind, repairing now. we'll see what happens.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(9,643 Views)

I repaired ELVIS 4.5mx. No change.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(9,638 Views)

Hi msingletary,

Something could be installing incorrectly from your physical install discs.  My recommendation is to force reinstall NI ELVISmx 4.5 and use a new install download from our site.  Here is a link to download the driver:

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/4316/lang/en

Here is a link to perform a force reinstall of our software:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/ADD22E807D5A12AD862579EC00760F79

I would perform this install as the only thing running on your computer to prevent any CPU interuptions that could happen during the installation process.

Peter T
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(9,610 Views)

I got an error while performing the installatio that said that the 64 bit windows drivers failed to install. I hit  continue and the process continued until the end where the installer said that the installation had failed.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(9,597 Views)

Hey msingletary,

Looks like you are installing NI ELVISmx 4.5 from the myDAQ Software Suite 4.5. 

Are you still running into issues with installation?

You mentioned VISA test panel is that the same as the myDAQ test panel? 

Regarding your orignal question "No Supported Device" in the device drop-down could mean that it doesn't detect the device on your system or that the instrument/featured app that you are using doesn't support the hardware. For example, the Variable Power Supply (VPS) instrument only supports NI ELVIS II/II+ hardware.

Here are few things I would trouble-shoot: Firstly, we want to verify your computer is able to identify the myDAQ device and see if you are able to make some sort of measurement using a test panel in Measurement & Automation. Secondly, we want to see if the instrument/featured application supports the myDAQ device or if there are additional issues.

1. Make sure after installation you have restarted your machine.
  2. When the myDAQ is connected via USB to your computer, do you see a blue LED lit by the USB connection? When the computer recognizes the device, the LED on the device blinks or lights up.
  3. In Measurement & Application explorer (MAX),expand Devices and Interfaces to find the device. Confirm that your device is detected (it should be listed). Right-click the device and select Self-Test. We want to test if your hardware is successfully varified.
  4. In MAX, right-click the device to test, and select Test Panels to open a test panel for the selected device. Click start to see if you are getting any data or measurements. This will confirm if you are able to communicate to the device and make a measurement.

**if you successed this usually indicates your device is working***

After verifying that your system detects the device:

1. What instrument or featured app are you using your myDAQ hardware when you see "No Supported Device" from the drop down? 
  2. Does "No Supported Device" appear in all instruments you've launched?
  3. Are you using myDAQ in LabVIEW with the Express VIs? Do you see the device listed in the drop down when you drop an DMM Express VI?
  4. What OS are you using & bitness 32-bit or 64-bit?

Trying these few items would greatly help with identifying the issue.

Let us know of any additional details to better troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Sandra

BTW - including the MAX Configuration Report was awesome! I can see what software & version you have installed.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(9,591 Views)