Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Myrio

What up guys.  I am looking into different microprocessor's for an upcoming project.  My current group is trying to build a robot for a robot contest.  We are currently looking at the myrio because it's onboard processing speed.

I have experience with arduino but not labview.  My question is can the myrio be programmed similar to an arduino or pic, in which as soon as it gets power it starts running it's onboard program, similar to the arduino.  Or does it need a PC connection? 

If someone can get me some information or send some useful link on how/if the rio can do this i would be thankful

Ricky the Lou

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(7,508 Views)

Hi

Yes, you can run application in standalone mode, so it will run program at startup. 

Like arduino myRIO use USB for debugging and program transfer from PC to device.

There is one of usefull links

...and this one

Regards
Mikrobi (Zbigniew St. Sobków)____________________________________________________________
"You can lead a horse to water, but if you can get him to float on his back you've got something."
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(7,501 Views)

Hey Ricky,

myRIO is a great choice for a new robot build.  As you develop your LabVIEW Application for myRIO you can run the code on myRIO in Interactive mode.  This allows you to run the code on the myRIO target, but still see the front panel and block diagram in LabVIEW.  This is great for debugging because you can use things like probes and highlight execution mode.  When you're ready to 'deploy' your code you can create a Startup Application  for the myRIO (more info on that here).

When you deploy your application the front panel is compiled out to optimize for speed.  You can still use LabVIEW as a user interface by streaming data from the myRIO to your Laptop or even an iPAD using Shared Variables and Data Dashboard, or other data communication methods, or you can simply let your code run 'headlessly'.

Let us know if you have any more questions about this.  Make sure to post some updates as you start working on your project.  I'd love to see what you're working on.

Thanks!

-Sam K

LabVIEW Hacker

Join / Follow the LabVIEW Hacker Group on google+

Message 3 of 4
(7,482 Views)

Dear Sam,

I've a question regarding the basic principle behind network shared-variables in the context of myRIO.

After searching an awfully long time, I don't have a sufficient answer or a working solution.

The project is as follows:

On Host:

Host.vi     ->    Reading from NSV

On myRIO:

Main.vi    ->   Writing to NSV

myrio-nsv.lvlib         ->   "Hosting" NSV

This works fine with a direct USB connection and WLAN connection as long as I start+deploy the Main.vi on the myRIO directly.

Now I plan to connect the myRIO to a fixed WLAN and as soon as power ist connected, the myRIO shoud start writing to the network variable.

Whenever I start the Host.vi it should read from the network shared variable (network-published, no buffering, RT FIFO Single Element).

For that to work I created a new "Real-Time Application" to deploy with the following settings:

Startup VIs:            Main.vi

Always included:  myrio-nsvlvlib

Rest is default, except under Source File Settings, I chose the destination "Support directory" as destination (as recommended by multiple NI documents regarding NSV's in real time startupdeployments).

Build is then "Set as startup" and deployed and myRIO is restarted. I integrated a heartbeat on LED0 to see if the startup exe startrs properly and that is the case.

After opening the Host.vi and trying to run it, I get the warning / error message, that "The target is already running a Real-Time startup application. Press OK to confirm aborting currently running application and connect to target from this project."

I think I have an error in my basic conception or understanding of who needs to host the NSV and where the libs need to be placed.

I also did "Deploy All" for the lvlib file multiple time before and after deploying to myRIO as startup.

Also I stumble upon the "Shared Variable Deployment" setting in the properties of the build specification. But this option seems not to be present on the myRIO.

It is possible for you to help me get the correct basic understanding of NSVs on myRIO?

Especially regarding the Data Dashboard option you mentioned. That would in my understanding force the lvlib onto the myRIO.

I'm just trying to get a basic example working such as myRIO feeds data into NSV and host PC displays it. If you have such an ecample, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share it here.

If necessary, I can upload the whole project or just specific VIs.. I included a screenshot of the lvproj file and the Main.vi and Host.vi.

Any help would be appreciated !

Thank you!

Kind regards

Niels Gran

P.S.: When I select "Component Definition" in the Build Specifications Properties LabVIEW freezes up and I have to kill it completely. Happens on 3 different computers.

Any ideas regarding this ??

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(7,076 Views)