Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyRIO WiFi connection is breaking up?

Hello,

Problem is that MyRio WiFi connection is breaking up baddly all the time. Problem occurs when I use ssh terminal or transfer files using scp. E.g. when I try to transfer about 4Mb file to the myRio using scp, connection stalls many times for ~20 seconds. Sometimes connection time up happens and transfer is canceled. Same thing happens if I use ssh terminal and type to terminal. This problems is present also in other places and WiFi networks, so I think that problem can not be in RF environment. There isn't any problems when I use USB connection. Could my myRio WiFi HW be broken? Is WiFi connection worked fine other myRio users? MyRio firmware version is 1.0.0f1.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,807 Views)

Hey MakeJ,

I've used the myRIO wifi for SSH with no problems, althought I havn't benchmarked the performance.  Here are a couple things you could try:

1. Try running the Linux command top via ssh to see CPU usage.  It's possible something running on the myRIO is taking too much CPU time and starving the network thread.
  2. Try using WebDAV to transfer the file to and from the myRIO rather than SCP.  More info on WebDAV here.
  3. Try creating an ad-hoc wireless network with the myRIO and directly connect via wifi from your laptop to the myRIo to see if that changes performance (it removes the router an other networking infrastructure from the equation)

Let us know how those go and we'll figure out where to go from there.

Thanks!

-Sam K

LabVIEW Hacker

Join / Follow the LabVIEW Hacker Group on google+

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,798 Views)

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your help Sam!

But I still have problems with WiFi connections. At this point this is not a show stopper, but it makes things a bit difficult. Problem occurs also if I ping MyRio device from my PC. Connection lock up all the time for a long times (>10s). I have noticed that connection works much better in my home network than in workplace network. In my workplace is much more RF noise that might cause problems. Anyway my laptop WiFi connection working without any problems in the workplace network.

1. CPU usage is below 5%.

2. WebDAV works ok over USB, but over WiFi it locks up like scp.

3. I have tried ad-hoc network, but same problem occurs still. 

/Make

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,641 Views)

Hey Make,

Does the wifi work at home like you'd expect (ie no dropping ssh sessions, locking up, etc) or just better.  Can you give some more detail on this?

I use wifi at work (~1000 people in this building many using laptops on wifi almost all with phones on wifi) and myRIO works great on our wifi network.

Have you talked to your IT department to see if they have any thoughts about why this is not working well on their network?  There may be something weird about their network (such as firewalls, blacklists or QoS).  I'd be curious to see if they have any ideas.  They should at least be able to give some network troubleshooting advice.  

Let us know what you learn from IT.

-Sam K

LabVIEW Hacker

Join / Follow the LabVIEW Hacker Group on google+

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,637 Views)