Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My xbox 360 controller VI does not work under the MyRio

Under the Myrio project if I place the attached xbox VI under the computer it works when I run it but if I put it under the Myrio it does not work.  Can someone please explain what I am doing wrong.  I am pretty new at this.  Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(7,208 Views)

I get error (-363031) which I understand is the Myrio not recognizing the device.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(7,190 Views)

Hi ils4580,

It is hard to say what might be causing this error. Does the error occur during the deployment process or when the code is running?

Have you verified that you can properly see your myRIO target in NI MAX? 

Is everything wired correctly? 

Does this happen with other devices?

Have you tried running the Joystick Monitoring Project provided with the myRIO toolkit?

Can you provide a screen shot of the error occurring?

JD B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(7,139 Views)

Yes the Myrio shows up in NI Max.  I have attached some photos of the project with the way it works and the way it doesn't.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(7,118 Views)

This error is occurring because the myRIO can't recognize the Xbox controller. In this instance, it is because the controller is connected to the computer and not the myRIO. Even though the VI is deployed on the myRIO, it can't access the Xbox controller without a direct connection to the controller. If you would like to read the controller commands on a computer and then access those commands on the myRIO, you can use shared variables to send that data to the myRIO.

Here is a white paper on how to implement shared variables:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4679/en/

Here is the manual for shared variables:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361G-01/lvconcepts/usingdynvarapi/

JD B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 5 of 13
(7,054 Views)

I'm having the same problem but I have my Xbox controller plugged directly into the myRIO.  Based on what I have read the myRIO does not have the needed drivers to talk to the controller.  How do I go about fixing this?  I tried to run the Joystick Monitoring Project and it gave me an error; I attached it.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(6,896 Views)

I am using the controller connected to the PC.  To do this I had to run two seperate VI's and use shared variables to communicate between the two.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(6,885 Views)

Hi Avanina,

I am not sure why you are having that issue or what driver you are missing. To add software to your myRIO go to NI MAX, find myRIO in remote systems. Expand the myRIO and right-click software then Add/Remove Software. From there you can add any drivers on your system.

Do you know what driver you are missing?

Do you have the NI-RIO driver installed? What version?

What version of LabVIEW do you have installed?

JD B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(6,857 Views)

JD B,

I looked into that earlier in the week and was not sure what I should be installing to get an XBox Controller working.  I do not know what driver I need for this task so I'm not really sure where to go.  I believe I have the NI-RIO driver installed (I assume you mean on my laptop) as I can see the RIO from my laptop and communicate with it.  I am running LabVIEW myRIO 2015.  As I mentioned I think the fix to my problem is driver related and therefore in NI-MAX.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(6,807 Views)

I too tried to get this working a while ago but it's not easy. I got stuck because my knowledge of compiling/cross-compiling for Linux RT is pretty limited.

Here are some of my posts discussing the issue:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Academic-Hardware-Products-ELVIS/Xbox-360-Controller-amp-NI-MyRIO/td-p/26724...

https://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/21018?tstart=120

If you managed to get it working, please let me know. I don't have any 'requirement' to get it working any more but it's something that I think the myRIO should support and it would satisfy my curiosity if there was a solution.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(6,689 Views)