Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to make a climbing wall route planner with myrio/ laptop?

Solved!
Go to solution
Hi!
I wonder if its possible to program a climbing wall indoor route planner. Thinking adding a led light indiktator at each grip. I want to be able to controll/ choose route on a screen/ laptop and the grips at the wall that are in the route will ligh up.
Is that possible?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,277 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Norwegianstudent

Hey, 

This would definitely be possible, and also be a really cool project! You could connect a myRIO to LED's that are embedded on the wall. You could then use a laptop to control which LED's are lit up. Because the myRIO can be accessed over Wifi you could embed the controller behind the wall and easily control it wirelessly from a laptop. 

How many routes do you intend to light up? Will these be separate holds or will the LEDs maybe change colour to indicate a different route? The myRIO has a limited number of outputs so some thought will need to be put into how you would like to do this. 

The control could be done from a VI that runs on a laptop, or you could even develop a phone app. This would be very cool, you could just pull out your phone, connect to WiFi, press a button and see the route lit up!

Is this a personal project you are doing or as part of a course? I'm interested in climbing and mountaineering so I have thought about doing something like this in the past. 

Let me know if you have any questions about how to go about this, or if you have any ideas you would like to discuss. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,245 Views)

Hi! Mattsnow

Thanks a lot for you reply. 

I was thinking adding it to the small wall at first. The buildring wall.  It has a total of 300 grips / its 4 meter( 400cm)  high and 11 meter (1100)cm wide.

A friend of me found this project  http://www.moonclimbing.com/gear/climbing-holds/moonboard-led-documentation.html

https://youtu.be/jkLSZc1CCXo . This is very nice project done with audrine using adressable leds. 

It shuld be fully possible to make something simmilar with MYRIO right? as the adressable lights will reduse the amount of outputs i need.

Its private project/ but local climbing wall. 

Sounds nice with an mobile app:)

Started climbing this year is alot of fun. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,192 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Norwegianstudent

Hey, 

That video from Moon was very interesting, yes basing the system on addressable LED's will greatly reduce the number of outputs needed. You would need to figure out how the interface to the LED's would work, the myRIO has upto 32 Digital Input / Output lines so you could work out the maximum number of LED's you can control. The User Guide and Specifications for the myRIO are available here:

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/376047a.pdf

I'm sure that the myRIO is more than capable for this project, and again it's real strength is the built in WiFi which could easily interface to a mobile phone app. The system used on the Moon project in which you type in a 4 digit code that corresponds to a pre-configured route is interesting. You would have to think about how you want to define the routes and what control you need the user to have, e.g. how could you "program" new combinations of LED's for new routes. 

But at the end I'm imagining that any climber could just walk up the the wall, scan a QR code to download a simple app and instantly be able to change the route that's displayed by the LED's. Although if you had some other kind of control system in mind (maybe a touchscreen or just a laptop) that would be possible to implement too!

Let me know if you have any more questions. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,160 Views)

Thanks,  I probably go for the moonproject as they added a file with partlist and program/ total cost are just 400 dollars,.

I will look for a good solution with myrio later on/ i think the biggest job is adding 200 wholes to the wall and the wiring. When thats done it shuld be possible to change controller to myrio later on. The wifi is a big pluss. 

Barcode nice/ mobile ap is sometghing to go for, just need more skills to be able to make it.

This was very nice/ 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NqAq5lhTHY

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,155 Views)