Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -50303 occurred at ELVISmx_DAQmx Create Channel %2528AI-Resistance%2529.vi%253A1

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, 

I was using the myDaq in my electronics class earlier today and suspect I may have damaged the myDaq. I had an external power supply connected to my circuit on a Protoboard - the circuit was not directly connected to +/- buses on the protoboard, but the board itself was hooked into the myDaq. 

I did note this warning statement in the myDaq manual:

Power Supplies
Caution! Do not mix power from NI myDAQ with power from external power sources.
When using external power, remove any connections to the power supply terminals on
NI myDAQ.

Since then, I am getting the following error message when I try to take readings from my DMM (NI Elvismx):

Error -50303 occurred at ELVISmx_DAQmx Create Channel %2528AI-Resistance%2529.vi%253A1

Does this message mean I damaged the myDaq? Could I have generated too much current with the circuit/applied voltage and caused it to back up into the myDaq? If so, would this damage the myDaq or are there internal safeguards to protect the device (i.e. recognizing when internal resistance drops) and would trigger an error code (i.e. could you reset AI Resistance)?

I am brand new to the field of electronics, so please forgive me for any obvious mis-statements above!

Also, I went to then download the myDaq Troubleshooting Utility - I was able to unzip the file, but it would not complete installation (i.e. the "next" button was greyed out on the summary screen, only options to choose from were "save" and "cancel"). 

Thanks in advance for any guidance/direction you can provide me with!

Sincerely,

Melissa

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,508 Views)

Hi Melissa,

Here is an explination of the error:

-50303:

"NI Platform Services:  The specified device could not be initialized. The operation could not be completed as specified"

It does not necessarily mean you damaged your myDAQ, but it is hard to say.  The best next step to take is to go into MAX and see if you can interact with your device there.  

As far as the myDAQ Troubleshooting Utility, can you send me a screenshot of what you see?  I just ran through the install and I didn't see what point you were referring to.

Nick

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,495 Views)

Hi Nick, 

Thank you! So far, I went into the NI MAX and took the following steps:

1) Clicked on the "Devices and Interfaces" tab

2) I noted it recognized the myDaq as "present" (see attached screenshot)

3) I wanted to next configure my device - however, I cannot find a "properties" tab after I click on the device

I have not used MAX before, so I'm not sure what steps I could take to interact with my device?

Also, please see the attached screenshot for the myDaq Troubleshooting Utility, which shows as follows:

Start Installation - Review the following summary before continuing.

Installation Summary - no software will be installed or removed.

Thanks for your help!

- Melissa 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,491 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MelissaSaari1

Found a quick fix!

Under the Tools button in NI MAX, there is an option to select "Reset Configuration Data".

After selecting this, it reset the NI Configurations and rebooted my computer. I noted that when I re-opened NI MAX, I had more options to select when I click on the myDaq device (i.e. before I could only choose "Save" and "Refresh"... now I have more options including a reset function, self-test, test panels, etc.). 

I have now been able to use my NI Elvis DMM functions and no longer see the error message (just did a simple test with a resistor). 

Cheers!

- Melissa

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,486 Views)