Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i connect a WSN sensor to compactRIO?

Is it possible to connect a WSN sensor (particularly pH and water level sensor) to compactRIO? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(7,475 Views)

Hi chire,

Could you be a little more specific on what hardware you want to use such as the sensor model, cRIO, or WSN module? In addition, does the sensor require external excitation which a cRIO module needs to provide? What voltage/current ranges will the sensor operate?

Aldo A
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(7,472 Views)

Hello there Sir.

We would like to use the following equipment:

Sensor: http://www.sensorex.com/products/more/s8000_modular_ph_sensor_platform I saw this as one of the sensors compatible with WSN 3220.
Hardware: NI cRIO 9075, NI 9201

The sensor's ouput is 4-20 mA.

Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(7,466 Views)

Hi chire,

Assuming that your sensor outputs the maximum 20 mA and taking into consideration the 9201's maximum voltage range of 10 Volts, you can use a 500 Ohm resistor to measure the output of the sensor. One drawback is that you will only be able to have .1mV accuracy with this module. Instead, I suggest a C series current input module http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/208794 which will get you 0.011 mA current accuracy. 

In addition, does your sensor require external excitation? The 9201 will not have any external power available since it is only an Analog Input module.

Hope this info helps!

Aldo A
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(7,460 Views)

Thank you Sir. I wll consider the information.

May I ask if you could assess another sensor that will be used together with NI 9201.

Attach is the Data Sheet for you perusal.

Thank you very much.

Cherie Dy J. Arao

Adamson University

Philippines

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(7,456 Views)

Hi Cherie,

The Pressure sensor in your attachment also outputs 4-20mA and requires external excitation (14-35VDC). The 9201 will not be able to power on this sensor (9201 is only AI) unless you use another external power source. The set up should be the same as your previous post about the pH sensor (using a 500 Ohm resistor) when operating at 20mA and using the max voltage range of the 9201 of 10V. 

Hope this helps! 

Aldo A
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(7,448 Views)

Hello there Sir,

Thank you very much for the information. That will definitely help us.

May I ask if we can use the attached equipment specification for the excitation of the sensors?

Hoping for your help. Thank you.

Regards,

Cherie Dy J. Arao
Adamson University
Philippines 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(7,444 Views)

Hi Cherie,

Yup, the PS-15 power supply will be able to provide the 14-35VDC Range specified in the sensor's spec sheet. (PS-15 has a 24-28VDC Range).

Aldo A
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(7,435 Views)

Sir,

Thank you very much for the help. Definitely appreciate it. We're looking forward for you help again when it comes to troubleshooting soon.

More power to NI.

Best regards,

Cherie Dy J. Arao
Adamson University
Philippines

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(7,429 Views)