Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parallel Port Data Reading with NI-USB 6009, NI-USB 6501, NI-USB 6525.

Hello All.
Thanks in advance for your time to read this post, and for your answers.
I'm working with a Machine in my company where it sends information to the parallel port, but I'd like to send that data to another computer. This machine is using Windows 3.11, running its own network with other computers in DOS using Netbios, so I can not use RAS protocol, or try to send data using the network because the machine is not stable.
The only information that I know is that the machine is sending to the parallel port it's data.
I'd like to know if it's possible to read that information from the parallel port using a DAQ. I've used NI-USB 6009 before for some data acquisition, but I'd like to know if this device would support the transfer speed from the parallel port. Do I have to use another DAQ, like NI-USB 6501 or 6009? Because I have to make a handshake between the DAQ and the Parallel Port (because the Machine software thinks that It's sending its information to a printer), Is the NI-USB DAQ going to have a good transfer from the DAQ to the printer (status bits)?

Thanks for  your answer.
Carlos.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,949 Views)

Hi Carlos.

Actually I believe that the sampling rate of those cards won’t be enough to monitor the parallel port. Usually the parallel port can communicate at different speeds that go from 360,360 to 2,500,000 bits per second.

The NI USB 6009,NI USB 6501 or the NI USB 6525 do not work at the sufficient speed for monitoring the parallel port.

I found another discussion that talks about this issue, so it may be a good idea that you take a look at it.

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=70&thread.id=8643&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Hope this helps.

Have a nice day.

Israel B.

AE Mexico.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,663 Views)