LabVIEW Embedded

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using peek/poke memory VI's using ARM Embedded module - how to work?!

Hi All -

I am using LabVIEW 8.6.1 with ARM Embedded Module 1.1 to develop a project on the LPC2368/2387. We need to use the peek/poke memory vi's but find it difficult to get them to work. When using a simple memory write (internal flash) and then a read all we get is a blank address without any written data.

We also have the MCB2300 dev kit and have been unsuccessful using peek and poke there also. I will post here a screen shot of the code used on this dev board.

Has anybody used these vi's and had any success ? Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(9,112 Views)

Hi David,

There is an XML file there called Memory Access. I would like to check if there are functions that are supposed to be there are located there. I have heard of some customers experiencing problems with some functions being missing during the install process.

Can you please post back with your XML file located at this location on your system?

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.6\CCodeGen\Funclist

Once I have that file, I can cross check it against mine.

Warm regards,
Karunya R
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(9,096 Views)

sure thing, here it is:

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(9,079 Views)

David,

We also had trouble with the peek and poke vis.  Replacing that xml file fixed it for us.

Bill F

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(9,065 Views)

Hi David,

I crossed check your XML file against mine. It looks as though your version of Memory Access.xml is missing a few functions. This is probably the cause of the Poke/Peek Memory VI's not working for you. Bill F is right. You will need to replace the XML file with the one attached to this post. If you need to, backup the old one. The root cause of why the XML file sometimes does not contain all the functions has not been identified. Unfortunately, we have not been able to replicate the issue here at NI.

Please let me know if this doesn't fix the problem for you.

Warm regards,
Karunya R
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(9,059 Views)
Excellent!  Thanks Karunya!  I was having the same problems.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(9,049 Views)

Karunya -

Thank-you for the file update. It certainly has me concerned as to how many other XML files are corrupted in a similar way.

I have only just had a chance to check the code on a basic project (new), using the MCB2300 dev kit. Unfortunately I have had no luck in getting the peek and poke vi's to work.

From the error output messages in Keil my guess is that the Peek vi does not work as it is meant to. I get the following message in Keil:

BS 0x5CE4, 1
Memory read not possible (Real-Time Agent)

And the LabVIEW Processor Status box indicates a 'Data Abort' error. 

The code I used is in the original post.

Any ideas ?

David.

EDIT: I should clarify that the code does not compile so I am unable to verify anything on the LCD screen of the dev kit.

Message Edited by MeT_David on 04-22-2009 01:24 PM
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(9,022 Views)

Hi David,

I have seen and heard of this issue with this XML file only. I doubt any of the other XML files are corrupted/bad. The XML file I sent you to replace had some functions that were missing in the older one. Ideally, after installing the new XML you should have been able to use your program as expected. The reason I say this is because, from what I seen, people who were having issues with the peek/poke VIs were not having the issues anymore once the file was replaced.

I would like a little more information on the error messages that you receive when you run your program. I would like to see if I am able to replicate your issue.

Can you please post back with the below information?

1. Screenshot of LabVIEW error message
  2. When does this error happen?
  3. Do you still receive this error after replacing the XML file?
  4. Your VI that you used for testing 
  5. the entire set up and set up for the build specifications
  6. Where do you the error messages from Keil?
  7. When do you get the error messages from Keil?

I look forward to your reply

Warm regards,
Karunya R
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(9,002 Views)

Hi David,

I just wanted to check in to see if you had a chance to answer my questions.

Warm regards,
Karunya R
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(8,983 Views)

Hi Karunya -

we haven't forgotten you; we've just been busy with other projects and trying to work out another problem surrounding the peek/poke focus.

After copying over the new peek/poke xml file (Memory Access) I found that the peek/poke option did not work. I had never tried it on my computer with the previous xml file; it had been performed on a colleagues computer previous. After copying back the old xml file to see if it worked I still get the same error.

I should clarify here: the program will compile but will not run for very long before generating an error, with which the debugger identifies it to originate from the poke vi.

I have screen shots etc to send to you but have held off until we isolated the problem - if it is indeed from our end or not.

I went back the the previous computer where the peek/poke vi's created no trouble (although they didn't generate any output) only to find that they do not work as before. Replacing with the new xml file did not work also.

We think we may have the addressing wrong. We are using the internal memory to store our information and may, as a result be overwritting a part of the OS. We are not sure and have, due to other pressures, pushed this down a notch in our priority list; but we will need it in the future.

A screen shot of the error using the debugger is attached (LabVIEW and KEIL).

In regards to the build specs, they are very straightforward. We created a brand new project using the vi screenshot in the original post.

I hope that helps. My apologies for not providing more information at this time. If you do need more info please let me know and I will see to it again.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(8,964 Views)