From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step Type Problems with TestStand 3.5

I have a TestStand system where I have created some custom step types (Created originally in TestStand 2.0). I've
used these step types successfully in TestStand 3.1 projects with no problems.

With TestStand 3.5 I have a recurring problem that I cannot clear.

Once the custom steps have been added to the system, I re-load my Process model sequence files and resolve type
conflicts by selecting currently loaded types. (Since my process model utilises these steps and was developed under
3.1)

I save the Process Model and then load in my test programs, again resolving type conflicts by selecting currently
loaded types.

So far so good.

However, when I exit the sequence editor I'm ALWAYS being prompted that the NI_FlowControl.ini typepalette file has
been changed.

This happens even when I set the system to have NO Process Model selected and don't load a program! i.e. I open the
sequence editor and shut it down immediately.

1. Why isn't the Sequence editor prompting me that it's about to change the typepalette file?
2. Why is it changing the type? (And at what point is it happening?)
3. I have no indication as to what has changed within the type and where the conflict is coming from.
4. Why is saving the type having no effect whatsoever?

At one point with a configuration it kept telling me that the NI_DatabaseTypes.ini file had changed (and that it was
the only one to change) I experimented by removing that type palette entry (since I didn't use the database steps
with my process model) and it then started complaining about one of the other NI types as being changed! (Is this a
TestStand bug?) or is there a decent explanation?

I've even tried redefining the typepalette files of my step types to create a clean system, but it all falls apart
whenever I try and load an existing test program. No matter how careful I am, TestStand insists on changing loaded
types without telling me or giving me the option to choose what I want to do!! (Note - re-writing the test programs
is NOT an option!)

Any ideas would be welcomed....  
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,294 Views)
Brian,

Have you modified the CommonResults data type?  What is the version that you have loaded?  I have seen this problem when you have a newer version of a data type than the engine loads on startup.  You can fix this problem by either reverting back to an older version of that type (the same as the engine version), or using the following workaround:

In TestStand, open your type palette window. In the Palette pull down ring select "Customize". Create a new type palette and make sure it is the top-most palette in the list. Name it whatever you like. Click "Ok". Now select your NI_DatabaseTypes.ini from the pull down. Go to the "Standard Data Types" tab, select the "CommonResults" type and copy it.

Select your newly created type palette from the pull down, and paste the "CommonResults" type into this palette. Save all of your palettes.

You should no longer be prompted to save your type palettes unless an actual change has been made.
Message 2 of 3
(3,275 Views)

Thanks AllenP,

I don't know where or when the CommonResults data type was changed by me, but your workaround solution works fine.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,255 Views)