Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device is not responding to the selected base address DaqCard 1200

Hi,

Can not get old PCMCIA DaqCards 1200 or 700 to work in a new Dell laptop Latitude-D610 with Win XP. The Test Resources error prompt in MAX is “The Device is not responding to the selected base address.” Current NI software on use is: NI-DAQ ver 6.9.3, NI-PAL 1.6.1 and MAX 2.2.  Dell uses genuine Microsoft PCMCIA adapers drivers on this laptop.  I exhausted most of the discussion threads history associated with this type of anomaly, mostly not conclusive or does not help resolve my issue. I also tried changing the IRQs and the I/O addrs range but of no use. Both cards work flawless in an old Gateway laptop with Win 95 and the same above software. The goal is to replace the laptop without impacting the current data acquisition system sooo… let’s not waste time and recommend migrating to DAQmx or anything else in that path.…..

Thanks,

SA

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,642 Views)

Hi Sasmar,

In order to clear up this error I recommend following the steps outlined in the Knowledge Base: "Not Responding to the Selected Base Address" Error. I would try the ten steps outlined there in order. Definitely make sure you have the newest bios from Dell for your laptop if you get to step 8 and your card still errors. There was a similar issue with a different NI PCMCIA DAQ card and your exact model laptop. This was fixed by upgrading the bios. Let me know if you have any questions and have a great week.

Thanks,

Nathan
NI Chief Hardware Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,611 Views)

Hi Nathan_R,

Thanks for the response. Like I mentioned in my original message, I exhausted most the threads associated with old DAQ cards or 1200 in this case including the link you suggested. I did, however, try a second laptop with some differences. The DIO works but no AIO. I'm not doing any development with LV but rather running an .exe file with LVRTE6.0 or testing manually with MAX4.3 and NI-DAQ6.9.3 test panel. One physical observation on the PCMCIA slot, the+5V bus as monitored from the 50pin connector on the DAQ interface connector, pins 49 and 50) between the old Win95 Laptop and the new WinXP laptop is that the old laptop has +5V and the new laptop is at +3.3V. I’m not sure if this has anything to do with powering up the A/D or D/A ckt on the DAQ Card!

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,599 Views)

Hey Steve,

It sounds like your laptop is only providing 3.3 volts to the card when it requires 5 volts. The DAQCard-1200 was designed before 3.3 volts was added to the PCMCIA standard. When 3.3 volts was added to the standard a way to detect older 5 volts cards was also specified. However since this card was designed before this happened it was never tested in the newer 3.3 volt and 5 volt PCMCIA slots. It should still work if the laptop fully supports the PCMCIA standards. I checked the Dell documentation for your system and it says the PCMCIA slot supports both 3.3 and 5 volts. It could be that your Dell laptop does not fully support the standard and that is why it is not detecting that the card needs 5 volts. You may want to contact Dell and see if there is a way to force the slot to provide 5 volts. Information on the PCMCIA standard can be found here.

I know you did not want to talk about upgrading your system so if you cannot force the PCMCIA slot to provide 5 volts I would recommend continuing to use your old laptop or trying to find a new laptop that will provide 5 volts. Let me know if you have any questions and take care.

Thanks,

Nathan
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,580 Views)

Hi Nathan,

I think I’m starting to put this puzzle together. Now that I’m able to lay my hands on a second DAQCard1200 (P/N 182868B-01, has silver case with blue writings), test it on two separate modern Win XP laptops producing good and working results. Both AIO & DIO are now working and ironically the bus voltage is +5V (on pins 49 & 50) on this card. This card also works on the old Win 95 laptop. Now going back to the original DAQCard1200 (P/N 182880H-01, has white and beige label with black writings) that I started with, it is evident that when using this card on a modern laptop which supports a +5V & 3.3V buses, this card as you suggested was designed before the +3.3V bus was added to the PCMCIA standard which explains why it doesn’t work in the new laptops. This leaves me with one more question: If this is truly the case, the card ending with 80H implies it is newer than the one ending with 68B for which it contradicts all the findings above! Perhaps you can decipher these part numbers as I have not been able to target any source of documentation explaining the differences on the NI web site.  BTW, thanks for the PCMCIA link, very good info and history.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,569 Views)

Hi Steve,

Are you sure the part number is 182868B-01 on the working card? I can find no record of this part number. Could it be 182880B-01? This would be a revision of the DAQCard-1200. If it is 182880B-01 then it is an older revision than the 182880H-01. Neither of these revisions would have been tested with a dual voltage PCMCIA slot so it is hard to tell why one would work and one wouldn’t.  Let me know if you have any questions and have a great week end.

Thanks,

Nathan
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,544 Views)
Hi Nathan,
Here are two pictures in the attachment that you might be able to shed some light on and decipher the part number 182868B-01 in question.  At this point it is evident that this card (182868B-01) does support the dual voltage design, as I'm using it. Yet very strange to see no traceability at NI!

Thanks,
Steve

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,517 Views)

Hey Steve,

The part number is 182858B-01 and it is an earlier revision of the DAQCard-1200 than the 182880H-01. Both take 5 volts. Your laptop should be able to tell that they need 5 volts and give it to them. For some reason the laptop is only detecting the older card as needing 5 volts. I would contact Dell to see if there is a way to force the PCMCIA slot to provide 5 volts if you need to have the 182880H-01 card working in this machine. Let me know if you have any questions. Take care.

Thanks,

Nathan
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,495 Views)