Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does NI offer USB extension solutions?

USB extension is needed in situations where the user needs more than  5 m between the host computer and the USB device. By using hubs, users can achieve  distances of up to 30 meters.  In addition, several vendors make USB Extenders that  extend USB beyond these limits, in some cases up to 2 km.  For a list of these companies, read the USB Frequently Asked Questions.

We are currently investigating suitability of these extenders when used with our devices. We will update this post as information becomes available. If you have feedback or contact for an extender company you would like us to investigate, reply to this post.

Serges L.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,872 Views)
I am using a Gefen USB extender with a SCXI-1600 module.  I'm having some problems.  It works when I want to read a channel using the test panels in MAX.  When I try to use LabView it hangs up in the Start Task VI, If I dont use the Start Task VI it hangs up in the Daqmx read VI.  I would think if I can get something via MAX it should work in LabView but I am having trouble.  I am using LabView 8.0...............
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,805 Views)
Hello Frank Rizzo,

When LabVIEW hangs at the Start Task VI, what is the error code that you recieve?  I would try running the shipping example titled 'Cont Acq&Graph Voltage - Int Clk.vi', located in the LabVIEW example finder (Help > Find Examples) under Hardware Input and Output > DAQmx > Analog Measurements > Voltage, just to rule out the possibility of any programming faults.  Also, make sure that any existing Test Panels in MAX are closed before you try to access the same device through LabVIEW.  I would try initially testing the LabVIEW program without the USB extender to verify that it is functioning correctly.  Finally, if you could provide some further information about the exact make and model of the USB Extender you are using, this would help us to investigate the compatibility of our devices with 3rd party USB extenders.

Regards,
Travis G.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,779 Views)
Hi Travis..............

I dont recieve an error code it just hangs until I abort the VI. 
Shipping examples do the same thing.
The VI I have works when the extender is taken out of the loop.
The extender works for other devices.
The Extender is a Gefen USB 2.0 Extender.

Thanks for your help........
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,773 Views)

My recent experience is that NI do not support any USB extenders. Having tried to use a USB-6218 DAQ with a USB extender it would not work at all. I tried to different supplier extenders with no joy. I have now used a alternative USB DAQ supplier and their unit works with both USB extenders.

Would be interested to know if NI intends to overcome this limitation? I understand that the problem relates to the way in which the bulk transfer protocol is used in NI devices.

Regards,

Dan 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,483 Views)
Hi Dan

I can tell you that two NI USB devices, the GPIB-USB-A and the DAQPad-6020E, have both been successfully tested with four cascaded 16 foot extender cables manufactured by ATEN with no degradation in performance at a total distance of approximately 64 feet. Other manufacturers, such as B&B Electronics, offer similar products but they have not been tested with the DAQPad-6020E or any other NI USB devices.

Extending the USB Cable for a GPIB-USB-A

Would it be possible for you to provide us with the specific NI devices that you have tried testing and the specific USB extenders that you've tried to test them with?
Best regards,

Jordan D
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,435 Views)

sergesl wrote:
USB extension is needed in situations where the user needs more than  5 m between the host computer and the USB device. By using hubs, users can achieve  distances of up to 30 meters.  In addition, several vendors make USB Extenders that  extend USB beyond these limits, in some cases up to 2 km.  For a list of these companies, read the USB Frequently Asked Questions.

We are currently investigating suitability of these extenders when used with our devices. We will update this post as information becomes available. If you have feedback or contact for an extender company you would like us to investigate, reply to this post.

Serges L.

Any update on this?

Kamen

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,021 Views)

Hi Kamen,

We've continued testing on hubs and extenders, but have yet to find any that work to our satisfaction (%100 of the time for every chipset). We have found that name brand powered USB hubs usually work and that active extension cables usually work. We've also found that most USB to ethernet and "wireless" USB extenders either don't work at all with our products, or have unacceptable throughput and reliability issues.

Are you looking to use extenders/hubs? If so, with what devices and what use case? If you need a few extra meters, most active extenders will work. If you're looking over a long distance, its usually easier to just buy a cheap desktop and control it remotely.

Cheers,

Andrew S

MIO PSE  

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,982 Views)