From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different LV versions - visual cues?

If it was their intention, then I congratulate NI on creating a very uniform UI across recent versions.  I now find myself running multiple versions (8.2 - 9.0 on Windows), and for the life of me I can't tell which version I am running without going to the 'About LabVIEW' window.  I am a chronic double-clicker and the version of LV that opens seems to be the last one I used, as described here.  Now, LV2009 is slowly becoming an invasive species on my HD as some of my older VIs become inadvertently upconverted.  Sometimes I catch the asterisk, sometimes I think about it, but every so often one slips by.  Is there any subtle, yet effective visual cue as to which version is running?  Every time I go to create a new VI I have to look to see which version I am currently using.  
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,769 Views)
You are correct; double-clicking a file associated with LabVIEW will open it in the last used version of LabVIEW.  If you are up to the challenge of combating your chronic double-clicking, you can right-click the file and select Open with... to select the version of LabVIEW to use.

There is no easy way to tell which version you are using.  You already know about Help>>About.  That is how we all check.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,734 Views)

You can add the following item to the LabVIEW.ini file to help you out. It will display the version and exe path of the version of LabVIEW that is running in each window's title bar. The downside is that it's a little verbose, but it helps!

showExePathInWindowTitle=True

Title_Bar.PNG

Message Edited by Jarrod S. on 10-07-2009 05:08 PM
Jarrod S.
National Instruments
Message 3 of 6
(2,723 Views)

A bit verbose perhaps, but potentially useful nonetheless.  I have requested a less-verbose option similar to this in the idea exchange.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Add-LV-version-to-window-title/idi-p/998574

Any other "hidden" ini options similar to this?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,713 Views)

Darin.K wrote:

Any other "hidden" ini options similar to this?

The LabVIEW Wiki has a collection.

Message 5 of 6
(2,711 Views)

smercurio_fc wrote:

The LabVIEW Wiki has a collection.

Highlight Execution will never look the same again....Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,706 Views)