LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scan From File aborts the calling VI if it is pointed to a non-existing file

The Scan From File primitive throws an error dialog and aborts the VI if it's given a non-existing file instead of returning an error in its output. See attached example (8.6).

Yes the vi aborts on execution without throwing error.  any response from  NI??
With regards,
JK
(Certified LabVIEW Developer)
Give Kudos for Good Answers, and Mark it a solution if your problem is solved.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,219 Views)

On the Mac OS it works as expected.  With the Windows path constant it pops up an error dialog "File not found..."  With a Mac file path constant pointing to a real file, it runs normally (generating an error 85 due to format mismatch) and with a Mac file path pointing to a non-existent file, it produces the same "file not found..." error dialog.

Lynn 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,189 Views)

johnsold wrote:

On the Mac OS it works as expected.

What do you mean by "as expected"? The dialog is certainly unexpected IMO. It should never appear and certainly not abort the VI.

(3,175 Views)

You are right.  I did not read the original post carefully enough nor did I read the note on the front panel.

At first I was thinking automatic error handling, but I have that turned off.

Too early on Monday morning.

Lynn 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,169 Views)

Hello all,

Thanks for finding this, I have submitted a corrective action request for this. It's in 8.6.1 as well. We really appreciate your help in improving LabVIEW! Please let me know if you need assistance in working around this bug.

Regards,

Anna K.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,153 Views)

Anna K. wrote:

Please let me know if you need assistance in working around this bug.

For anyone wondering, the workaround is simply to check if the file exists before trying to read it. You can do this by calling the File/Directory Info primitive and checking the error output. Or you can use the OpenG File Exists? VI.

I'm assuming this primitive is used rarely, if at all, which is why no one ever reported this. I had it in an old piece of temporary utility code which was moved elsewhere. It had a hardcoded path and when I ran it again a year or so after last using it, I ran into this. The only reason I used the primitive in the first place was because I wanted a quick way to save a number in a file and read it back. I never used it in any real code.

Anna, I don't personally care, but what's the CAR number? Some people do seem to want to know them.

Hello all,

The CAR number is 168144

Thanks,

Anna K.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,109 Views)

This issue has been resolved in LabVIEW 2010.  To look for other bug fixes please review the LabVIEW 2010 Readme.

Regards,

Jon S.
National Instruments
LabVIEW NXG Product Owner
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,737 Views)