Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sequence execution

cebailey wrote:

>all data is important - even (or perhaps, especially) error data

Yes, this is how I got off track:

1) Yeah, yeah, I'll get the errors wired later

2) Sequence is important

3) I could use a Flat Sequence, or bend the errors to fit the job.

4) What was I going to do later...?

If I realized what everybody was telling me:

1) I need various things wired, including errors of course.

2) I have to make sure I wire them in order of execution if that order matters. This is easy if I also order them left-to-right on the diagram.

3) Now their order is correctly established, maybe by several things, maybe only by the error wires, but correctly established in any case.

4) Flat Sequence not needed (which they rarely are).

>you need to be as careful about propagating and preserving it as any other data

This suddenly became clear last night as I read somewhere that you usually want to redirect program flow to get to the error handling quickly if there's an error. The error wires aren't just sewer lines. The goal isn't just to make sure they all dump someplace suitable. You actually make some of the biggest changes in program logic depending on their state. Arguably they are the single most important category of wires that will get tested to decide program flow.

Thanks again.

Well it looks we have a convert here.

Can cebailey come down front so everyone can see you.

Can I get a big 'Amen'.

"

Yet another LV religious war has been fought and won by the die-hard LabVIEW Evangelists. Such is the life of the altruist. Smiley Wink

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 31 of 33
(1,502 Views)

Amen!

But I can't figure out how to get down there.

How about this? Here's the only trick I know that I haven't seen elsewhere. It uses a Ctrl-B command and also a flat sequence with terminals on its top edge. So, it should be terrible, right?

Message 32 of 33
(1,489 Views)

cebailey wrote:

Amen!

But I can't figure out how to get down there.

How about this? Here's the only trick I know that I haven't seen elsewhere. It uses a Ctrl-B command and also a flat sequence with terminals on its top edge. So, it should be terrible, right?

With that mini-Nugget you just did!

Nice trick!

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 01-01-2009 09:13 AM
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 33 of 33
(1,467 Views)