From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run compiled application (LV 8.6) without run-time engine

Hi,

I just recently wrote a small 200KB program that performs simple calculations that I'd like to use on several different computers.  The application works perfectly, but the problem is that I really don't want to go through the download/install/reboot process of installing the LabVIEW Run-time 8.6 software on every single computer (especially since downloading a 100MB file to run a 200KB program seems counter-intuitive).   Is there a way to get the application to run without the engine?  Previous searches resulted in old posts of people simply copying the engine files from the shared folder into the application directory, but that did not work when I tried it.  Is this no longer possible on LV 8.6?   I'll have no choice but to rewrite the application in a different programming language if LabVIEW isn't capable of running standalone compiled applications.

Thanks,

Anthony 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,932 Views)
No, you can't run a LabVIEW app without the run-time. You can't run apps written in other languages without their run-time either. I did a check recently and the latest .NET framework is twice the size of LabVIEW's.
Message 2 of 13
(4,922 Views)
Then is there a way to run an app while having the RT files in the same folder as the app?  Previous posts have mentioned it before, but I've had no luck doing this so far.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,909 Views)
I don't know. It used to be possible with versions prior to 8.0 but since then, the rules have changed quite a bit. Why do you want to install it to the same folder?
Message 4 of 13
(4,900 Views)
I'd just prefer to keep the app as simple as possible, that way I can carry it around with me on a usb drive.  I also wouldn't need to worry about needing to obtain permission to install the run-time engine while on public computers.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,884 Views)
You do not have to download the RT engine. You find it on your local HD in this folder C:\Program files\National Instruments\Shared\ProductCache\NI LabVIEW Rutime Engine [8.6.0]\lvrte. It is 29 Mbyte you can put it on your USB stick. But you have to install it

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,870 Views)

LabVIEW Rutime Engine full is 108Mbytes, here

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,861 Views)

AntLee29,

I think it should run without installing the RTE. I need to make a test this evening (Mid European standard time) on an NI free machine. I think I have checked this during the 8.6 beta because I have an 7.1.1 app which is used this way and I have converted it to 8.6 at least.

Message Edited by waldemar.hersacher on 02-03-2009 01:30 PM
Waldemar

Using 7.1.1, 8.5.1, 8.6.1, 2009 on XP and RT
Don't forget to give Kudos to good answers and/or questions
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,849 Views)

Hi,

I would also like to point out that almost all languages have some kind of a run time, including C and C++.  However, most operating systems come with those run times already installed, which is why you can often create a program in those languages that don't need an installer.

In any case, you will definitely need the LabVIEW run time engine installed to run an app.

Regards,

Jeremy_B

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,758 Views)

I made the test with LV 8.6 on Windows.

I used a VI which does not need any drivers neither serial nor any other hardware execpt the graphics card.

I made an application from this VI on my normal development machine and checked that it will start and work as expected.

I setup a NI free partition with Win XP Prof. SP2. I have some non NI programs installed like a virus scanner, defragmentation tool, Adobe Reader, a drive imageing tool and WLAN drivers. The .NET Framework 2.0 is installed.

I copied the application and all files under National Instruments\shared\LabVIEW Run-Time\8.6 to the machine in a temporary folder.

I booted the machine into this partition. The application will start and work as expected. You do not need to make a complete runtime installation until you do not need any drivers.

The above mentioned folder has a size of about 64 MByte. Dependent on the application and desired languages you can remove parts of it.

Dennis,

during the various LV 8.x versions it was possible to do it as described above exepct one version, 8.2 I think, which needed an ini-File in the Windows folder.

Waldemar

Using 7.1.1, 8.5.1, 8.6.1, 2009 on XP and RT
Don't forget to give Kudos to good answers and/or questions
Message 10 of 13
(4,748 Views)