cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

failed to save for autorecovery

Solved!
Go to solution
Good Morning,
I have a current LabVIEW 8.5 project that gives me the message "Failed to save name.lvproj for autorecovery," every time I open it. This has persisted even through mass-compilation of the project.

Is this a setup problem or problem witht the lvproj that is going to cause problems in the future? Is there any corrective action to take?

Other projects opened on the same computer do not give this same error. The problem project includes RT, cRIO and FPGA components.
Thanks,
Mello

Data Science Automation

CTA, CLA, CLED
SHAZAM!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(6,048 Views)
I have been seeing the same thing.  But only on on my laptop.  If I move the same project to my desktop, it  never see this problem.  Also using cRIO, FPGA, RT and TouchPanel
...Interested in finding out why
SteveA
CLD

-------------------------------------
FPGA/RT/PDA/TP/DSC
-------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23
(6,029 Views)
Mellobuck,

Was this project upgraded from a previous version of LabVIEW or was it created in 8.5 originally?

What are your current autosave settings? (Tools » Options » New and Changed for LabVIEW 8.x)

If you make a copy of the project does it continue to happen with the copy?
Regards,

Jared Boothe
Staff Hardware Engineer
National Instruments
Message 3 of 23
(6,014 Views)

Hi Jared,

This project was created in 8.5, and upgraded to 8.5.1.

The Autoupdate settings are: "Enable Automatic saving for recovery" is checked and radio button "Save before a Vi runs and periodically" -> 5 mins

No, this problem does not happen when I make a copy of the project (just copied the *.lvproj file), Good catch!

After tomorrow I will also see if transferring the code to another computer has the same problem. Most likely it seems that this can be fixed by copying the project, even if it seems to mean that I will have to re-compile all of my FPGA bitfiles. I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Tim

Data Science Automation

CTA, CLA, CLED
SHAZAM!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23
(6,005 Views)
Tim,

Excellent that the copy of the .lvproj worked.  I am curious as to what kind of RIO device you are using in your project?  And I feel your pain about recompiling all of your FPGA code!!

Message Edited by Jared_B on 06-25-2008 01:53 PM
Regards,

Jared Boothe
Staff Hardware Engineer
National Instruments
Message 5 of 23
(5,986 Views)

Hi Jared,

I am using a cRIO-9014 with 9401 FPGA. Moving to another computer (also with 8.5.1) did not help the problem.

I guess the real question is "Will this message cause me problems in the future?" I have nine targets with 2 FPGA bitfiles each...

-Tim

Data Science Automation

CTA, CLA, CLED
SHAZAM!
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23
(5,967 Views)
Tim,

You should not have any problems in the future assuming you do not need to ever auto-recover.  If LabVIEW crashes while you are working and haven't manually saved recently, you could lose some work which can be bad.  I would recommend if you have the time, copying your project and starting the compile over a weekend to save yourself some possible future pains.

But as far as problems with the project, the auto-save issue does not seem to be tied to any other things within your project that would cause other issues later on.
Regards,

Jared Boothe
Staff Hardware Engineer
National Instruments
Message 7 of 23
(5,945 Views)

I'd like to share a couple of notes about this error.

First, it only occurs once per LabVIEW session.  Specifically, if you see this error on a particular LVPROJ, then close that LVPROJ, copy it on disk to give it a different name, then open the copy, you will not see this dialog again.  You'll only see if after closing and re-launching LabVIEW.

It very much surprises me that an on-disk copy wouldn't show the same problem.  If you're able to, I'd be very interested in the results of the following series of steps:

1. Ensure AutoSave is enabled in Tools - Options.
  2. Exit LabVIEW.
  3. Launch LabVIEW & open original project.
  4. Create a new VI in the project, under My Computer.  Run this blank VI.  Does the error occur?
  5. Repeat steps 2 - 4 with the copy of the project.  Does the error occur?

In the end, Jarred is right in that this error will only really cause a problem for you if you lose power or crash and have unsaved changes to the project file, as they will not be automatically saved.

Is there any way you could provide NI with your project (or some portion thereof) that demonstrates this problem?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23
(5,925 Views)

Good Evening Jeff,

I'd be happy to answer your questions

Jeff B wrote:

First, it only occurs once per LabVIEW session.  Specifically, if you see this error on a particular LVPROJ, then close that LVPROJ, copy it on disk to give it a different name, then open the copy, you will not see this dialog again.  You'll only see if after closing and re-launching LabVIEW.

Yes, this is definately confirmed on my side, after the below tests

1. Ensure AutoSave is enabled in Tools - Options.
  2. Exit LabVIEW.
  3. Launch LabVIEW & open original project.
  4. Create a new VI in the project, under My Computer.  Run this blank VI.  Does the error occur?

Yes, the error occurs.

1. Repeat steps 2 - 4 with the copy of the project.  Does the error occur?

Yes, the error occurs; above I was not closing LabVIEW between copying and opening the new project.

In the end, Jarred is right in that this error will only really cause a problem for you if you lose power or crash and have unsaved changes to the project file, as they will not be automatically saved.

Is there any way you could provide NI with your project (or some portion thereof) that demonstrates this problem?

Sure, I would be happy to. I will contact you Monday, June 30th to arrange it.

Regards,

Mello (Tim)

Data Science Automation

CTA, CLA, CLED
SHAZAM!
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23
(5,904 Views)

Hi! Exactly the same thing happened yesterday. But I'm not using cRIO, FPGA, RT and TouchPanel...

Andrey.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23
(5,896 Views)