LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mini-Nugget Save time wiring shift registers

Occationally we find that we have to add a new case to our code and wire up a bunch of shift registers as shown below.

This technique save wear and tear on our wrists.

Start by squishing

Then wire!

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 04-16-2008 09:15 AM
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Download All
Message 1 of 40
(7,880 Views)
Ben,

Nice idea. Remember to turn off Auto Grow for the structure before squishing.

I find that I often have a case with most of the connections wired through and very little code (Idle or Error for example). Duplicating and modifying that case may be a time saver also.

Lynn
Message 2 of 40
(7,867 Views)
Wouldn't the Tunnel Wiring Wizard do this for you?
Message 3 of 40
(7,865 Views)

smercurio_fc wrote:

How come when I try to open this, it just asks to save changes, then closes itself.  I can't get it to open.  (I'm using LV 8.5)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 40
(7,837 Views)

smercurio_fc wrote:

Wow, great tool, thanks for showing smercurio.
I think this will help if you have more than one new case, if it is only one it doesn´t help.

Mike

Message Edited by MikeS81 on 04-16-2008 05:31 PM
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 40
(7,830 Views)

@Ravens Fan wrote:

How come when I try to open this, it just asks to save changes, then closes itself.  I can't get it to open.  (I'm using LV 8.5)

Hmmm... Not sure, as I don't have 8.5. I was able to open in 8.2 and resave it. Try the 8.2 version that's attached.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 40
(7,820 Views)

Hi Ravens,

as far as i see it, you need one more vi in memory to see it.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 40
(7,817 Views)

smercurio_fc wrote:

Yes, that has been around for a long time and is very useful. I wouldn't be surprised if NI included this functionality in some future version of LabVIEW.

Ben, personally, I much prefer collecting all the SR values into a cluster and then bundling and unbundling by name. That way you have a single SR and the code is cleaner.

Good mini-nugget Ben. 🙂

I like it.  I also do like tst with the cluster.  But it does happen that a client wants additional features which then require additional clusters and shift registers..  That may mean lots of wiring.  🙂

Message 9 of 40
(7,782 Views)

Mike has the answer.  If no other VI is in memory, neither the 8.0 or 8.2 version will open.  If a VI is open in memory, then they both will open.

This looks like it would be a useful tool.  I'll have to try it out soon.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 40
(7,772 Views)