From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Occasional Nugget 03/20/2008

It was brought to my attention recently that one of my favorite little LabVIEW tricks has yet to be nuggetized.  You know how if you right-click in the diagram to bring up a temporary palette, you can pick a subVI off the palette to drop it?  Well, if you instead Ctrl right-click to bring up the palette, whenever you pick the subVI, instead of putting it on your cursor to drop, it opens the subVI front panel instead.  Isn't that neat?

-D

P.S. - Check out past nuggets here.

Message 1 of 14
(9,760 Views)
That is kind of neat. Anything that reduces mouse clicks is useful. Smiley Happy
PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(9,743 Views)
Ok, great tip to reduce mouse clicks. Now how do you do that on the Mac where a "right click" is already a control click?

I have tried Command-right click (the obvious mapping), shift-right click, and option-right click but it doesn't seem to work. Any other things to try?

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(9,695 Views)

This nugget works on Windows and Linux, but not on Mac.  Let me know when you guys get a second mouse button and we'll talk.

-D

Message 4 of 14
(9,689 Views)
On a pinned palette on the Mac control-click will bring up a menu, which includes Open VI. However that does not really save much time unless you want to open several VIs from the same palette.

Lynn
Message 5 of 14
(9,680 Views)

@Darren wrote:
This nugget works on Windows and Linux, but not on Mac.  Let me know when you guys get a second mouse button and we'll talk.

Darren,

You are behind the times. I got two buttons on my mouse and have had for years. I used a 5 button trackball for years before then. And a 3 button mouse trackball back on OS 8 in the early 90s. I already got the two buttons on the mouse.
http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/
So lets start talking? 🙂

BTW, the nice rollerball on that mouse is great for scrolling both vertically and horizontally in a diagram or front panel! Since it is USB it might even work with your PeeCee!

Of course, since Labview doesn't work well with Leopard (OS X 10.5) anyway.....
-Scott

Message 6 of 14
(9,665 Views)
I talked to one of our Mac guys, and I tried this out myself on a Mac here with a two button mouse.  As you already mentioned, right-clicking on that mouse does exactly the same thing as ctrl-left clicking (I guess there's some sort of internal mapping going on?).  So it's not *really* treated like a different mouse button click...it's treated like a modified click of the single button.  So again, once y'all get a *real* second mouse button, we'll talk.  😉

-D
Message 7 of 14
(9,657 Views)
Another good tip !
Thanks for sharing Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(9,640 Views)

@Darren wrote:
As you already mentioned, right-clicking on that mouse does exactly the same thing as ctrl-left clicking (I guess there's some sort of internal mapping going on?).  So it's not *really* treated like a different mouse button click...it's treated like a modified click of the single button.  So again, once y'all get a *real* second mouse button, we'll talk.  😉

Darren,
I honestly, all joking aside, don't see the real problem, other than the normal dismissiveness of uni-OS folks. On the Windows side, you use the control key for everything we (i.e. mac users) use the "command key" for (also know variously as Apple Key, or Clover). So if I use control-click to be a right click what is the big diff? The command key should map to what you call a control key.

So, command-control-click should map to this function. That is equivalent to command-right click, which maps on the normal
command <-> control mapping. The control-click is a system mapping to "secondary button". There is a logical consistent mapping to a unique user interaction.

Tomorrows lesson is the option/meta key and emacs mappings..... 😉

Message 9 of 14
(9,621 Views)

Darren wrote:

Well, if you instead Ctrl right-click to bring up the palette, whenever you pick the subVI, instead of putting it on your cursor to drop, it opens the subVI front panel instead.

Not necessarily only any SubVI, also any openable VI from the Functions pallete. Smiley Wink

Thanks, Darren! Smiley Happy
- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(9,588 Views)