LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLD Grading?

I took the CLD exam last Thursday.  That thing was LONG!  Anyway, not that it matters, but paranoia about passing is setting in.  I got it working, minus a few small points, think the style was ok, documentation of controls only about 1/2 done, comments on algorithms pretty good.  Anyone care to take an educated guess on whther I passed?  Heck, anyone want to take a wild guess? *LOL*

Certified LabVIEW Developer
NI-VLM Administrator
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(7,133 Views)

Julie,

Your guess is as good as mine.  It took about 2.5 weeks before I received my grade.  I am very proud of my 97.5 grade event though I thought it was perfect Smiley Wink

Anyway, it is a difficult test and designed to really test your ability to generate quality LabVIEW code in a short amount of time.  Heck, when people are paying you by the hour they expect results.  I have seen people that can code in LabVIEW but they are slooow.  One of the main advantages of LabVIEW is memory management and the ability to generate complex quality software quickly.

So, it short you did the best that you could.  That is all that is expected from anyone.  Hope you passed and I won't make any predictions.

Matt Fitzsimons

Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer

Owner of Complete Automated Solutions and always looking for quality Certified LabVIEW Developers  

Matthew Fitzsimons

Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW 6.1 ... 2013, LVOOP, GOOP, TestStand, DAQ, and Vison
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(7,122 Views)

No prediction, what the heck good are you? (kiding) I'm really just wanting to vent my paranoia to someone who understands!

I'm impatient, but yes, I understand why it is the way it is.  I like the CLAD grading, instant gratification!  There is no good way to do that for the CLD, but in my perfect  world ...

On the downside, my proctor said the last two CLD exams he prctored failed.  EEEK!  On the upside, he said my code looked a lot less sparse than theirs and I had something working, which they didn't.  My educated guess is that I got no lower than a 62%, no higher than an 83%, which of course, means I am on the nail-biting edge. 

Oh well, if I have to retake it, at least I know where I spent too much time and have a few ideas to streamline things.

NI-VLM Administrator
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(7,118 Views)
what percentage pass the exam?
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(7,109 Views)
75%.  I tend to be overly picky and pessimistic, but my luck has been horrid lately, so I don't know what side of the line I'll end up on.

NI-VLM Administrator
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(7,087 Views)

"JulieC" <x@no.email> wrote in message news:1147711210051-365283@exchange.ni.com...
No prediction, what the heck good are you? (kiding) I'm really just wanting to vent my paranoia to someone who understands!
I'm impatient, but yes, I understand why it is the way it is.&nbsp; I like the CLAD grading, instant gratification!&nbsp; There is no good way to do that for the CLD, but in my perfect&nbsp; world ...

Instant gratification? It took NI 4.5 weeks to send us our CLAD results!

Regards,

Wiebe.

On the downside, my proctor said the last two CLD exams he prctored failed.&nbsp; EEEK!&nbsp; On the upside, he said my code looked a lot less sparse than theirs and I had something working, which they didn't.&nbsp; My educated guess is that I got no lower than a 62%, no higher than&nbsp;an 83%, which of course, means I am on the nail-biting edge.&nbsp;
Oh well, if I have to retake it, at least I know where I spent too much time&nbsp;and have a few ideas to streamline things.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(7,075 Views)
It took 4.5 weeks for your CLAD results?  Wow.  I took the CLAD in December and within a few seconds after I verified that I was really and truly finished, it automatically popped up that I had passed.  Totally automated.  I got an 85%.  NI sent me the logo, certificate, etc., all within a day or two.

Julie
NI-VLM Administrator
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(7,056 Views)
We got a bundle of B&W copies, they where put into an envolope, and it was send to the US...

The certificate was included, the logo came very soon after the result.

Regards,

Wiebe.

"JulieC" <x@no.email> wrote in message news:1147792209990-365860@exchange.ni.com...
It took 4.5 weeks for your CLAD results?&nbsp; Wow.&nbsp; I took the CLAD in December and within a few seconds after I verified that I was really and truly finished, it automatically popped up that I had passed.&nbsp; Totally automated.&nbsp; I got an 85%.&nbsp; NI sent me the logo, certificate, etc., all within a day or two.
&nbsp;
Julie
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(7,049 Views)

Each CLD exam is hand graded by a team back at NI where the CLAD exam can be automatically graded since it's just multiple choice. This takes time as these folks have other duties as well.

It's hard to take any kind of guess on what your grade will be as each person grading probably has their own interpretation on how to grade it. I remember getting a point taken off for, "Having too many bends in some wires". But when I opened it, there were only bends where absolutely necessary.

I think it took close to a month to get mine back, so it really depends on how busy they are. It sounds like you hit most of the important points, so you might be sitting pretty good.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(7,039 Views)

I got my results back ... 2 weeks to the day.  Unfortunately, I got a 70%, which is a fail.  Close, but no cigar.  At least the comments I got back are useful.  I guess I've got a decent feel for how it's graded, as my estimate was 62-83%. 

I was kind of surprised where I missed though, I thought I would lose more on functionality and documentation, and that my style was decent.  I got only 8 of 15 for style (53%), whereas I got 13/15 for functionality (86%) and 7/10 for documentation (when I figured about 5 or 6, just missing stuff). 

Hopefully, I will be in good shape for the retake anyway.

NI-VLM Administrator
Message 10 of 21
(6,996 Views)