From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file date created

How to find the date created from a file?
Message 1 of 12
(10,491 Views)
You'll have to give more details about what you want to do...

Do you mean that you want to know when a file was created? As in (Windows) right click the file, choose properties and you get the size and datestamp of the file???

Or do you have a datestamp imbedded somewhere in a file and you want to parse through it using labview to find out when the data was stored???

Or do you have a database and you want to retrieve information related to a date?

Or.... wow... too many possibilities...

let's start from the top.

What do you want to find out about the date and why?

Help us help you by giving more details..

Thanks 🐵

-JLV-
Message 2 of 12
(10,491 Views)
The attached library make a call to a Windows dll to grab file properties, including the file creation date. Of course this only works on Windows.

It's in LabVIEW 6.0.2, but upgrades OK.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
Message 3 of 12
(10,492 Views)
Do you want something else besides what the File/Directory Info function (on File I/O>Advanced File Functions) provides?
Message 4 of 12
(10,492 Views)
Hi,
if you need to know the last modification date of file then you can use
"Functions->File I/O->Advanced File Functions->File/Directory Info.vi"
This vi returns the value of file's last modification date. This is returned as U32 number. To see it in MM/DD/YY format you must create the indicator, right-click on it and select "Format & Precision..." item from drop-down menu. Then select "Time and Date" format there.

Good luck.

Oleg Chutko.
Message 5 of 12
(10,492 Views)

Thank You! Exactly what I'm searching for!

Your VI is still useful after 14 years 😄 congratulations! Maybe it's time for NI to add this to regular features of LV??? At least in NXG...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(6,616 Views)

...and now LabVIEW supports 64 bit integers Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(6,610 Views)

I made several improvements bringing this up to modern best practices (or my current opinion of them).

Also, I think there was a bug in how the file size was being converted for files larger than 2^32 bytes. I fixed that.

Times are now output as timestamps and are local time, previously UTC.

A more sensible error code, error 6 (generic file I/O error), is used in two places with different error messages indicating the DLL function call that gave the error.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(2,628 Views)

Thanks for the VI.  Tried this with LV 2010 and it loads and runs fine but gives the incorrect date / time.  Also, is not in LV time stamp data type.  

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(2,049 Views)

@D4N!3L3 wrote:

Thank You! Exactly what I'm searching for!

Your VI is still useful after 14 years 😄 congratulations! Maybe it's time for NI to add this to regular features of LV??? At least in NXG...

NI will not be adding anything to NXG

tldr: 

The final release of LabVIEW NXG was LabVIEW NXG 5.1 in 2021.

NI will not release new versions of LabVIEW NXG after LabVIEW NXG 5.1.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(2,033 Views)