LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data type in labview 6.1

Hi,
I want to make a value with a lot of decimal poits e.g. 0.0000056 to be the default value. I tried to change the data type to extended precision but every time I right click on the object to "make value as default" it will return 0.00 back. How can I fix that?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,119 Views)
Right-click on the object and select 'Format and Precision....' This will allow you to specify 7 decimal places (or however many you need). You may also have to resize the control to make it big enough for all those digits to show up.
Message 2 of 8
(3,119 Views)
Thanks Ian.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,119 Views)
Also be aware that if you are running Windows you might not get all the precision you need regardless of the datatype you use--especially if you need "lots" of decimal points.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,119 Views)
Is it ok with 15 decimal points?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,119 Views)
The last time I specifically checked this was a year or so, but I believe the limit was 7. Note that this limit doesn't exist with the Mac or UNIX versions of LV.Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,119 Views)
In LabVIEW 6.1, I just tried typing in pi to many decimal places, and made it to 17 before LabVIEW started truncating it. Of course, due to the way that floating-point numbers are represented internally, in general very large numbers will have even fewer available decimal places (unless you use scientific notation).
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,119 Views)
Also, I checked the number with 6.0, maybe NI fixed the problem with 6.1. Or maybe I got the "7" right but forgot the "1"... Oh well, age does that to you.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,119 Views)