LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI Analyzer - Find sub-VI calls by path name

Solved!
Go to solution

Is it possible to use VI Analyzer to detect and report if a specific sub-VI (identified by path name) is used within an analyzed VI?

I am upgrading from LabVIEW 7.0 to 8.6. I need to identify the use of specific VIs and replace them with new LabVIEW native functions.

I could delete these sub-VIs and look for broken VIs, but they happen to be part of LabVIEW's 'vi.lib\' hierarchy, and I would rather not edit or delete them. Smiley Wink

Message Edited by Phillip Brooks on 10-30-2008 01:56 PM

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,817 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PhillipBrooks

Hi Philip,

I've attached a VI Analyzer test below that should do what you want.  In addition to looking for static subVI calls, it also checks string controls/constants and path controls/constants for the VI name you specify, in the event that you have dynamic calls.  To use this test in LabVIEW 8.6 do the following:

1. Copy the attached LLB to [My Documents]\LabVIEW Data\VI Analyzer Tests (you may need to create this folder).
  2. Run Tools > VI Analyzer.
  3. Specify the folder(s) of VIs you want to analyze.
  4. On the test selection page, place a checkbox next to <User-Specified>\VI Analyzer Tests\Find VI Calls.
  5. Type the name(s) of the VI(s) you want to search for in the "Offending VIs" list on the right.  I recommend excluding the ".vi" extension...I noticed once when I was looking for a VI that the subVI name wasn't what I was expecting.  In my case, the name I specified was "Write to Spreadsheet File.vi", and the VI on the diagram was "Write to Spreadsheet File (dbl).vi" because it was a polymorphic VI.  Since this test matches case-insensitive partial strings, I just specified a name of "write to spreadsheet file" and it was found.
  6. Run the analysis.

Let me know if you have any questions or problems.

-D

Message 2 of 3
(4,795 Views)

If I could give you 10 kudos right now, I would! This is PERFECT!

Thank you so much!

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,790 Views)