LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pocket PC application fails to run: missing libraries?

I have the following installed (on WinXP):

LabVIEW 8.5.1

LabVIEW PDA Module 8.5.

DAQmx 3.1

ActiveSync 4.2

I'm working through a simple example from a tutorial, and application deployment works fine. However, when trying to run it, I get the following:

"Cannot find 'PDA Tutorial - Pocket PC' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and all the required libraries are available."

One note: the pocket PC has DAQms 3.1 Base and DAQmx 3.1 USB support files under its Windows directory, but the corresponding directories under the Program files\National Instruments are empty. Reinstallation of the PDA components of DAQmx Base hasn't changed anything. 

Could anyone suggest a possible solution? 

Thank you for any hints

Sasha

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(8,944 Views)

Hi Sasha58,

Can you tell me what version of PocketPC or Windows Mobile you are using?  Also, the LabVIEW PDA version needs to be the same as LabVIEW.  With 8.5.1, you need at least Pocket PC 2003 or Windows Mobile 5.

Regards,

Jeremy_B

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 17
(8,922 Views)

HI Jeremy_B,

version-wise it's ok. I simply missed the trailing 1 in the PDA module version number. They are both 8.5.1. Also, I have a Toshiba e750 with Pocket PC 2003.

Thanks for any help

Sasha

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(8,917 Views)

Hi Sasha,

Have you installed DAQmx Base on to the PDA itself?

Regards,

Jeremy_B

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(8,907 Views)

Hi Jeremy_B,

I ran the DAQmx Base driver installation utility from the PC - it listed three components to be installed on the PDA, which it presumably did. But, as I said in the original post, the PDA has empty DAQmx Base and DAQmx Base USB support directories under \Program files\National Instruments. I reinstalled the PDA components, but nothing changed on the PDA. ActiveSync is ok, since it transfers any other files just fine.

So the question is pretty much: how could I make sure the PDA has the necessary components (which it apparently doesn't as of now)? And is there any alternative way to place the required libraries on the PDA?

Thanks

Sasha

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(8,902 Views)

Hi Sasha,

It sounds like there may be some system files that could be missing from your PDA.  However, they may be hidden (even if you have show system files enabled), so there is a command line utility you can use to check for them. I've attached the utility to this post, it is called Pget.exe.  Please follow these steps to use it:

1.  Connect your PDA with ActiveSync.

2.  Open a command line window and navigate to the folder where you stored Pget.

3.  Type the following command without the quotes: "pget \Windows\aygshell.dll c:\temp\aygshell.dll"

4.  If you have the file, you will get one of the following messages: "Unable to open Windows CE file." or "Error !!! Reading Windows CE file"

If you don't have the file, you will get this message: "Windows CE file does not exist."

Please repeat the command with the following files (in addition to aygshell.dll):

• commctrl.dll
  • commdlg.dll
  • COREDLL.dll
  • ole32.dll
  • WINSOCK.dll
  • WS2.dll

Let me know which ones you have and which are missing, and we'll proceed from there. 

Regards,

Jeremy_B

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 6 of 17
(8,869 Views)

Jeremy_B,

I tested all files you listed. All are present, except one - WS2.dll. I get "Windows CE file does not exist". With rest it was "Unable to open..".

Please let me know what you make of this.

Thanks

Sasha

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(8,848 Views)

Hi Sasha,

You will probably need to copy the WS2.dll into the Windows directory on your PDA.  Those DLLs are from the Windows CE SDK, you should be able to download and install it from Microsoft, and it should include the necessary DLLs.   I believe this is the correct download link from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a08f6991-16b0-4019-a174-0c40e6d25fe7&displa...

Regards,

Jeremy_B

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(8,828 Views)

Hi Jeremy_B,

I ran installation of eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 and Windows CE SDK following your link, but WS2.dll still hasn't appeared. Is there another way to get it?

Thanks for your help

Sasha

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(8,807 Views)
Hi Sasha, I talked to R&D, and they said you will probably need to contact the manufacturer of the PDA and see if they know how to get the DLL installed. The SDK DLLs should have come preinstalled.
Regards,

Jeremy_B

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(8,652 Views)