LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Mobile/CE MySQL connection

Hi,
I have a problem which I'm sure someone has the answer to.  I have a networked MySQL database running plantwide.  The applications are written in LabView 7.1 and use ODBC to connect to the database.  I use barcode scanners to read various items of information throughout the plant, and this is sent to the DB via a variety of means - serial, usb, keyboard wedge, etc, but always via a PC running XP.  This all works very nicely.

However, I would like to use a barcode reader - such as the ones one sees in supermarkets where they are used for inventory control, etc - to allow direct interaction with the DB in a similar way to the PC interactions I have going on already.  Here is the problem I have.

As far as I can see, the barcode readers come with Windows Mobile or CE.  I cannot find a way to make an ODBC link to MySQL using Mobile/CE.  If anyone knows a way, then this would probably solve the problem, as I have the PDA Module for LabView available.

However, If there is no way to do this, I can use a Web Server and publish a web page on my DB server, and connect the handheld to the webpage, and interact that way.  So far, I have made the connection to a vi running on a web server, but the vi does not appear on the Windows Mobile Platform.  Instead I just get a small square in its place.  Anyone any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

MSB
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(9,056 Views)
I don't know about LV for PDA, but Windows CE (.NET Compact Framework) does NOT include an ODBC interface.

I encountered this lately doing a quote for a system on a CE device.  It was in C# though, so this may not be relevant.....

Shane.
Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(9,005 Views)

@shoneill wrote:
I don't know about LV for PDA, but Windows CE (.NET Compact Framework) does NOT include an ODBC interface.

I encountered this lately doing a quote for a system on a CE device.  It was in C# though, so this may not be relevant.....

Shane.

It is and is not relevant. The Database Toolkit makes use of ADO (and so do basically all other SQL Toolkits readily available out there). As such ODBC won't help much, but I'm not sure there is an ADO interface for Windows CE either. The complication here is that MySQL has to my knowledge a good working ODBC driver (which provided ODBC and ADO support is available can be used through ADO thanks to an ODBC-ADO bridge Microsoft distributes with ADO), but not an ADO driver.

So Windows CE and databases might be a bit of a tight spot to try to get working. All I can find for Windows Mobile for database support is CEDB and EDB but that are small native database implementations for Windows Mobile, not database interfaces.

Rolf Kalbermatter
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 3 of 6
(8,998 Views)
Rolf Wrote:

"The Database Toolkit makes use of ADO"

Ah. I did NOT know that.

There is indeed an ADO interface in Compact Framework 2.0.  I have been using it with SQLite.NET.

Surely there are ADO components out there which will allow you to use MySQL......

Shane.

Message Edited by shoneill on 02-07-2008 12:24 PM
Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
Message 4 of 6
(8,807 Views)

I have spent a couple of days messing with trying to make LabView work, and have given up.  I'm going to write the application in Visual basic and embed it in an ASPX page.  (I've already made this work with MySQL). 

It's like a friend of mine once said: "A job advert for programmers requiring experience in a specific language is liike asking for a Taxi driver who can drive Ford Cortinas."

Thanks for the suggestions.

MSB

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(8,781 Views)
MySQL has a command line interface as well. I'm not sure if CE has a command
line at all, but if it does you could concider communicating with the
database over the command line. It might even be possible to make a VI lib
with the same interface as the database toolkit, so you don't have to
rewrite your application.

Regards,

Wiebe.