LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 8.21

I downloaded the LabVIEW 8.2.1 Run-Time yesterday. So, it IS available now.

The only question that I have about the update, is:

Why is an update that is almost exclusively bug fixes, not a free update?  Is NI that short on money, that they can't supply bug fixes? If someone calls support with a problem, will the answer be to spend more money to get the latest update rather than helping with what the customer already has paid for?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(2,140 Views)

@Robert Cole wrote:
I downloaded the LabVIEW 8.2.1 Run-Time yesterday. So, it IS available now.

The only question that I have about the update, is:

Why is an update that is almost exclusively bug fixes, not a free update?  Is NI that short on money, that they can't supply bug fixes? If someone calls support with a problem, will the answer be to spend more money to get the latest update rather than helping with what the customer already has paid for?

What makes you think that 8.2.1 is not a free update for current 8.20 owners?
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(2,101 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

This discussion indicates that it is not free. EDIT: It seems still to be an open question.

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?showtopic=7448

Message Edited by Tomi M on 04-13-2007 09:50 AM

--
Tomi Maila
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(2,080 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

8.2 -> 8.2.1 may be free, but that doesn't help you very much because I assume the next version will be a "major" upgrade you won't get for free. My problem with this is, that you need to upgrade sooner or later because NI doesn't release bug fixes for old versions even if needed. E.g. if you're using 8.0 you have to live with the bugs (I'm not talking about features!) or you have to pay for an upgrade (which may solve old bugs but brings new features with new bugs).

SSP is nice if you want to use the latest version of LV all the time. I'd rather have an option for Long Time Support. For instance it would be nice to have a stable branch of LV 8.2 with support for lets say 2 years with regular bug fixes but no new features. While this NI can work on 9.x and stabalize this in 2 years as a 9.x.y with an LTS of 2 years again and maybe easy tools to upgrade from 8.2.x to this new versions.

And it would be nice to have bug fixes released more often...

Yes, I have a dream...
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(2,069 Views)
"
And it would be nice to have bug fixes released more often...

Yes, I have a dream...

"

Stay tuned Batman!

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(2,051 Views)

@Robert Cole wrote:
...Why is an update that is almost exclusively bug fixes, not a free update?  Is NI that short on money, that they can't supply bug fixes? If someone calls support with a problem, will the answer be to spend more money to get the latest update rather than helping with what the customer already has paid for?

I believe some Marketing folks are going to supply better answers, but I'll take a shot at this.

The 8.2.1 release is not "free" to anyone. Users on SSP will receive the update as part of the service they paid for. We bundle SSP with product purchases for numerous reasons, this being one of them. Users who purchased 8.20 will still be on SSP, so they will get the update. Users who received 8.20 while on SSP and whose SSP subscription has since expired and was not renewed, will have to purchase 8.2.1 (or perhaps can still renew their SSP? - not sure, I'm in Engr.).

Roy

Message 16 of 20
(2,023 Views)
I think Roy answered this for me. It was this quote from the "Current Versions" site that I noticed: "Those who are not service program members may purchase it as an upgrade."

Having had previous experience with this (a FEW years ago), I was a little worried. The company I was in purchased LabVIEW 6.0i and then NI released 6.1 a month later and when I enquired about it, I was told that we would have to purchase the upgrade. I'm glad to see that it's changed a bit.

I didn't get thrown off of using LabVIEW, I just became a bit more cynical.

Rob
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(2,009 Views)

In 2006, NI started requiring 1 year of Standard Service Program (SSP) membership with all new software purchases to provide routine fixes, deliver new technologies, and incorporate user feedback in a timely manner. We now strive for regularly scheduled maintenance releases and have an expectation that all customers will receive at least one, and in many cases, two new versions in a given year as part of this program. Another change is that we are automatically shipping version 8.2.1 to all of our customer with SSP membership - so if you are on SSP and you have not received it yet, you will soon.

As stated earlier, most new LabVIEW users who purchased LabVIEW 8.20 have one year of SSP membership and will receive the 8.2.1 update automatically through the mail. If for some reason you purchased LabVIEW 8.20 without SSP, or if you are a long-time LabVIEW user who has your SSP subscription lapse and upgraded manually to version 8.20, we are extending an offer to renew/enroll in SSP at a special price by waiving the late fees and the upgrade charges. The value of SSP membership is not only in receiving all new versions of the software, but also in minimizing your down-time with direct phone and email access to our technical support engineers, and accessing new on-demand training through the NI Services Resource Center (which we continue to expand). In addition to receiving LV 8.2.1, you will also receive any additional releases for the next year.

David Gardner
National Instruments

Message 18 of 20
(1,978 Views)

Hello, perhaps David can answer this?

We got started with this at the release of 8.0 and got 8.2 as part of SSP, which came with a new serial number and activation.

We re-upped for SSP for this year and I just got 8.21 which I'm happy about, but the 8.21 didn't come with a new serial number or certificate of ownership.  Does the one from 8.2 transfer or am I missing a document?

(1,719 Views)
You can use the same license.

Joe.
"NOTHING IS EVER EASY"
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(1,714 Views)