From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who uses the VI Analyzer?

Another really cool feature of the VI Analyzer is that it prevents me from being the bad guy.

I occasionally get these monster projects that should be quickly retired and re-written form the ground up.

The VI Analyzer lets me easily generate a pile of reasons while keeping me from looking like I am trying to generate buisness.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 31 of 43
(3,420 Views)

BEN!!!

You are full of good ideas!!

😄

Message 32 of 43
(3,387 Views)
Hi,
I think I am missing a general setting of VI analyzer - can somebody help me with this? I have a main VI which contains all sub-VIs of our driver set. I would like VI Analyzer to analyze this "main" VI and all of its sub-VIs, because I am interested in the test results for each single sub-VI of the driver set. But when I run the tests, only the main VI is analyzed. Is there any option where I need to check "include sub-VIs"? Otherwise I would need to open each single VI and tell VI Analyzer to test it Smiley Sad
Regards,
Gabs
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 43
(3,362 Views)

Hi Gabs,

In VI Analyzer 1.0, there is an "Include SubVIs" option on the Select VIs page that allows you to analyze all the subVIs of any VI you have added to the Items list.  In order to improve performance in VI Analyzer 1.1, we removed this feature (this is mentioned in the release notes for VI Analyzer 1.1).  However, it should still be easy to analyze the subVIs of your main program, provided they all reside in a common location.  You can create a new VI Analyzer task, then you can use the "Add Top-level Item" button on the Select VIs page to add the folders and/or LLBs that contain all your application VIs and subVIs.  Whenever you add a folder or LLB, all VIs that reside under that folder or LLB are added to the analysis...it's a recursive operation, so the contents of all nested subfolders are included as well.  Also, remember that once you configure the Items list with the folders containing all your application VIs and subVIs, you can click the "Save" button to save a .cfg file that you can then load at a later time that will retain all your VI Analyzer settings, including which VIs you are analyzing.

I hope this helps.  Please let me know if you have any other questions,
-D

Message 34 of 43
(3,357 Views)

Hi Darren,

thanks a lot. This is exactly what I was searching for. It works great now.

By the way, following up with your original question in this thread: in my opinion VI Analyzer is a helpful tool, especially with all the possibilities of customizing what to check and what not. When developing a large number of VIs I regulary forget to fill the VI help window for some of them and things like that. Some of the options are a little odd to me - like for instance checking for wires under controls - I find that there are almost always such occurences... but I can switch this test off and keep only those options which I find helpful.

Regards,

Gabs

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 43
(3,332 Views)
Hello Darren,

To keep things going, this bug made me look at the VI Analyzer again. But unfortunately you can't search for a coercion dot explicitly TO VARIANT, is there a way to 'make' your own test. I know there is a plug-in structure so we should be able to do that....
Can you provide us with the needed information (or better write the test?Smiley Wink)

Thanks,

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 43
(3,098 Views)

Hi Ton,

There is currently no interface to writing your own tests for the VI Analyzer, although we are considering that as a feature for future versions.  For now, you can use the test I have attached to this message to check for terminals that are Variant data type that also have a coercion dot.  The test works with VI Analyzer 1.1, which works with LabVIEW 8.0 and later.  Place it in your [My Documents]\LabVIEW Data\VI Analyzer Tests folder, and it will show up on the Select Tests page of the VI Analyzer under the "User-Specified" category.

Hope this helps,
-D

Message Edited by Darren on 01-25-2007 10:39 AM

Message 37 of 43
(3,075 Views)
Thank you ver much Darren,

for this quick respond.
It proves again the strength of the VI Analyzer

Ton

Now where is that 50-star button?
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 38 of 43
(3,047 Views)

I know I'm taking a chance on a long-dormant thread, but...

I find the VI Analyzer very useful.  I recently started running a customized suite of tests on all code I write, and as someone else posted, it's great feedback for helping me get in the habit of writing cleaner code.  

One aspect is a bit frustrating.  We have some messy code in Diagram Disable structures, and we're comfortable with that for the short term.  VI Analyzer reports test failures for such code.  Is there a way to make VI Analyzer ignore anything in the Disabled case of a  Diagram Disable structure?

0 Kudos
Message 39 of 43
(1,327 Views)

Hi Aurora (cool name, btw),

There is currently no way to have all VI Analyzer tests universally ignore code within Diagram Disable structures.  I can see how this would be a useful option, though.  Is there a relatively small number of tests you would want this option to apply to?  Because if so, we could add that configuration option to those tests individually with relative ease.  But if it's a large number of tests, and you would want to set the option in a single place, that would require some significant work to the VI Analyzer architecture itself.  Let me know...

0 Kudos
Message 40 of 43
(1,316 Views)