From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slowing LabVIEW 8.2 launch time

Good morning,

Some users have noticed a slowdown in launch time of LabVIEW 8.2.  That is, when a ‘fresh install’ of LabVIEW launched, it takes very little time to load.  Over time, some users report that the launch time is slowing down.  

This thread is intended to be a means of troubleshooting this issue. If you have experienced this issue, please let us know as many details as possible about the issue here.  If you are experiencing any other problems that are not related to this, please post those issues in a new thread – this should be reserved for the launch-time slowdown of LabVIEW 8.2 over time only.

Thanks,
Travis M
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
Message 1 of 8
(5,556 Views)
This is my take on the issue (Note this might not be the same issue, but this is nevertheless a major one).

PJM

vipm.io | jki.net

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,507 Views)
Thank you for the reply PJM, I think this is very interesting behavior that we would like to investigate (I will also address it in the other post).  Have you (or any other user here) experienced a slowdown of the LabVIEW 8.2 launch time?  I.e. are you noticing it taking longer and longer to launch LabVIEW?
Travis M
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,483 Views)

Do DSC apps count?

If so I have one.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,479 Views)
>I.e. are you noticing it taking longer and longer to launch LabVIEW?

No. Im my opinion, it is slow on the first launch, and fast when restarting right after it close.

PJM

vipm.io | jki.net

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,473 Views)

Hello PHM,

The noticeable difference between speeds in launching the first time vs. launching after close is due to LabVIEW being cached in memory.  When you open LabVIEW a lot of stuff must be put in memory, when you close it, not all if it is disposed of immediately.  The next launch, the OS can detect parts are still in memory, and just ‘re-link’ to those parts without having to bring them in again.

Ben-

I would consider a DSC app as part of the problem, especially if the existence of DSC on the system is to blame.  The problem we are looking at is just the first launch of LabVIEW taking longer and longer.  I have no idea what would cause this behavior, except that over time more and more stuff could be potentially installed on your system.  These installed components could have some effect on launch time (if they are loaded with LabVIEW for example).  There could also be some configuration that changes over time that could have a result.  For example the old trick of deleting the LabVIEW ini file could shed some light on the situation (but be sure to back it up in case you need to restore it).

Travis M
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,463 Views)

Hi Travis,

I'll keep my eyes open and help how I can.

I want to test the slow LV 8.2 open issue on my machine at home. At home I have not noticed slow opens but there I have configured my virus stuff not to check NI folder and I did not enable browsing into llb.

I can not control these settings at work, and it my work machines (noticed on two) that show the slowdown on open.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,451 Views)
Well, it looks like if this is an issue, it isn't a widespread one.  If anyone notices this behavior please don't hesitate to reply to this thread.  If you are noticing it, please post and include the ini file you are using (I am curious if something in the ini file could be causing this).  Also be sure to give details about the other software you have on the system (such as toolkits, drivers, etc...).

Thanks for your contributions!
Travis M
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,282 Views)