From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programmaticaly Get Next Cell Index of Excel Sheet

Hello,

I was hopeing if any one can help me on this

I am trying to add a section to my Labview code that uses ActiveX to access information in an Excel sheet in the following manner.

Search a column programmatically for the next cell that contains data and return the row index. I did that by going through the column, cell by cell, then get the data length, if the length is zero then its empty and I should keep indexing until I find one that is not emply. This method works however it is slow.

Does any one know if there is any faster method to do that?

Thanks,
Ayman
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(10,827 Views)

Hi Ayman,

I'm not really sure if there is a faster way to do this with ActiveX.  If you are optimizing for speed I would reccommend using something other than xls files to store your data.  You could store everything in a csv file and load it all into a big array in your program.  This way any operations on it would be really fast and it would be easier to work with.

-Justin D

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(10,796 Views)
ActiveX allows all of the same functionality you get when you operate Excel interactively.  From the keyboard you would press control-down arrow to jump to the first non-blank cell or the last non-blank cell.  The same function expressed as ActiveX is:

ActiveCell.End(xlDown).Activate
Then read ActiveCell.Row

Michael Munroe, CLD, CTD, MCP
Automate 1M+ VI Search, Sort and Edit operations with Property Inspector 5.0, now with a new Interactive Window Manager!
Now supports full project automation using one-click custom macros or CLI.
Message 3 of 17
(10,781 Views)
Hi Michael et al,

I am trying to translate

"

ActiveCell.End(xlDown).Activate
Then read ActiveCell.Row

"

Into LV code and have not found anything that looks like that.

What kind of reference do I start with, Sheet ?

is it all done with property nodes or are invoke nodes involved?

Thank you,

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(10,616 Views)

Expanding on my previous....

I have to add a new line of data to a spreadsheet when something happens.

I have to open the sheet,

find the first blank cell in collumn A

and add the new data there.

I want to avoid reading each cell one after the other to find out where the first blank is.

The above post sounds ideal if I knew how to construct it.

Thank you,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(10,609 Views)
bump
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(10,590 Views)
Ben,

this might help you further.

I did these VIs a while back, I can't remember which Excel version they use, but it might just work today.

Regarding the cryptic numbers, they're the numerical representations of "Xldown" and so on.  I had to look them up in Excel.....

Shane.

EDIT: This gives you the last similar cell.  If your starting cell is full, it gives you the last non-empty cell in the chosen direction.  If your cell is empty, it gives the last empty cell.....

Message Edited by shoneill on 02-19-2007 03:33 PM

Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
Message 7 of 17
(10,587 Views)
A solution I've used in the past involves using the Excel "COUNT" function in a cell that looks at a certain column.  I then read the value of COUNT, and know where I can insert the next row.
Message 8 of 17
(10,572 Views)

Thank you Shane and Brian.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(10,561 Views)

Ben,

on the excel board i just posted an example of how to add a row into and excel spreadheet.

For more information and some sample VI's and tool kits, you can go to the excel board

Joe.
"NOTHING IS EVER EASY"
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(10,545 Views)