LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anyway to remove the password in vi?

Actually, if a vi in the exe has a front panel (if it has locals, property nodes, or if this option is tagged in the builder) you can also get the front panel.

Also, you can get the hierarchy and connector panes. And you can run the vi's seperatelly, so you can analyse the individual vi's as little black boxes.

Regards,

Wiebe.

"Dennis Knutson" <x@no.email> wrote in message news:1151503811971-384681@exchange.ni.com...
The source code does not exist at all because the block diagrams have been removed. All that you can do is determine the names of the individual VIs that are part of the exe.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 30
(5,468 Views)
I must be one of the few Dennis.....Smiley Tongue

This thread has links that could be of interest, including some details of none other than my own test of VI security (based on work by M.Aivaliotis {I seem to recall}).
http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=161139

The following may illuminate a little.
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/BC99793C48857A41862565BC006F472C?OpenDocument

And the following may also be of interest for background, there are some excellent comments by Enrique and Rolf with fascinating comments by Greg McKaskle2
http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=76302&requireLogin=False

Don't forget you can rate those answers yourself.... even if they have already got some shiny Stars. Stars are for giving.
Message 12 of 30
(5,470 Views)
Good phrase:" Don't forget you can rate those answers yourself.... even if they have already got some shiny Stars. Stars are for giving."

Is this your new signature?

Some stars went your way 😉

Message 13 of 30
(5,438 Views)
So as a conclusion:

It is security by obscurity!

Greg McKaskle2 wrote:

[..]

The diagram isn't encrypted, partly because of the
time penalties involved, and partly because we originally thought it
would be important for us to be able to unlock VIs if employees left an
organization, etc.

[...]

In short, it is sound and is quite hard to break.

Greg McKaskle

Please correct me:

The protection of the diagram is 'the black magic' how it is stored in the vi.

Obviously it's not as clear as a SPICE netlist, however there seems to be a strict (reversible) algorithm behind it. As Wiebe (and others) stated even your  PC-LV can read it, but just don't let YOU read it.    

It's secure because since now nowbody was willing to do the work of disassembling or succeed in other ways to find out how the diagram is stored.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 30
(5,412 Views)
I think Henrik might be right.

Sounds to me hat if you could work out the contents of the VI file in binary, then it would be possible to read it, remove the password, set whatever flags to being not password protected and then re-write the file to disk.

I reckon that if the file format were known, it'd be relatively easy to do if the block diagram really isn't actually encrypted.....

Shane.
Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 30
(5,413 Views)

You can use brute force and try all possible combinations in a string of x length in a LV program. Will keep you busy for a decade or more. Smiley Very Happy

If you try to ‘break in’ into a VI from someone else…………. .Smiley Mad

If you forgot your password but know what it could be you can make a Labview program to check all possibilities with and without capitals and whatever you use for passwords.

I did this once for a Word document, which I protected and wanted to use after years. I used a few passwords during that time and I was not sure if and how I used capitals.

I wrote all passwords I knew in a text file and the program just tried all these passwords with and without all capital possibilities. I was easier (and more fun) to do it with a LV program then trying to type all passwords.

Today I use only two password and never forget them, It is not good I know but it is easier for me on my age Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 30
(5,403 Views)
KC,

the whole point is that a decryption isn't neccessary since the block diagram is't encrypted.  It's just that the only front-end which can show you the block diagram won't show it unless you type in the password.

Since the password isn't actually needed to access the block diagram code, simply data surgery might suffice.....  If you tell LV that the VI doesn't have a password (And regenerate the checksum I presume) then all is OK.  No brute force, just a small nip and tuck.

Shane.
Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 30
(5,399 Views)

@shoneill wrote:
KC,

the whole point is that a decryption isn't neccessary since the block diagram is't encrypted.  It's just that the only front-end which can show you the block diagram won't show it unless you type in the password.

Since the password isn't actually needed to access the block diagram code, simply data surgery might suffice.....  If you tell LV that the VI doesn't have a password (And regenerate the checksum I presume) then all is OK.  No brute force, just a small nip and tuck.

Shane.

Changes might be simpler, if you disasemble and analyse the (labview.exe) code. You even don't have to regenerate the checksum, you 'just' have to change one or two conditional jumps in the labview.exe to skip the password and checksum, or just invert the result, so your 'cracked' version will only open protected diagrams.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 30
(5,380 Views)

Why not start a new thread: How to hack LV :D:D:D.

By the way Henrik - nice signature, but you should specify the sign. I don't know if it's easy to use a negative phone :D:D.

Using LV8.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
--------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 30
(5,376 Views)

beckto,

I have no intention to hack LabVIEW, I prefer to hack with LabVIEW Smiley Very Happy

When it comes to security in IT people often get blended by the shiny complexness of the systems, but it's all just 010101...

Sig: Lefthand or Righthand system ?? Or : Did you ever had a company mobil?

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 30
(5,368 Views)