From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Weekly Nugget 04/17/2006

In LabVIEW 8.0, you can make your VI front panels partially transparent while the VI is running.  This can be handy when you have a "floating" front panel window that you want to be always available in your app, but perhaps you still want to have a global view of all the contents of your desktop.  To play with this setting, check out VI Properties > Window Appearance > Customize... > Window Runs Transparent.  You can also set the transparency level to a value between 0% and 100%.

-D

P.S. - Check out past nuggets here.
Message 1 of 6
(14,099 Views)
For those without 8 (but with windows), this is achieved through windows API functions as demonstarted in the attached VI (which includes a VI from the winutil library). The connector pane and FP are not properly set up, but it shows the concept.

One reminder,

if you set transparency to 0% BUT not mark you're VI as non-transparent it will cost you a lot of resources...

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 3 of 6
(13,939 Views)
Can you do this programatically?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(13,854 Views)
I'm pretty sure that I remember this being available either as a property or as a method (probably a property) of either the VI or the front panel.

(13,838 Views)
I was just about to reply to myself.  There is actually an example under the "new in 8.0" examples.  It is a property, and rather quite easy.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(13,830 Views)