LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pda 8.0 multi dimensional array support?

I've just spent most of this day chasing down a problem with a vi I was attempting to port from a PC environment to a PDA (PocketPC).  I think I have found the problem but I would like some confirmation if this is a recognized problem (not supported) by NI or if this is supposed to be supported but does not work on my IPAQ hx2790 (running WM5.0).  The problem I have is that the PDA doesn't seem to support multi-dimensional arrays ... NI, or anyone else who might know the answer ... Is this supposed to be support or not?  Thanks

Greycat
Message 1 of 10
(4,865 Views)

That's a great one !

I ran in the same bug a few hours ago (LV PDA 8.0 - iPAQ 4700 - WM 2003) . I could not believe it !!!

It is simply not possible to index a 2D array to extract a single row or column. Yet it is possible to get an array element.
I suppose there are other issues that will be exposed soon.
I have no more time to waste on LV PDA. But I suggest a few search directions : I found that on LV embedded, array operators could not be used with disabled index inputs. In the attached example, I tried to find a workaround and I used a for loop to index each element of a column and build a 1D array. It works sometimes : Don't touch element (0,1) otherwise the vi hangs.

That could be fun if this was not the dead-end of a 2 months work, fighting with LV PDA inefficiencies !

May be I'll try LV PDA again when a new release will be available ! 😠

Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

Message 2 of 10
(4,844 Views)
Well the work around I used was just to use a series of single dimensional arrays.  Not ideal but works (unless you have a large number of rows and columns).  Funny, I seem to be able to index the 2d array by row, or by column, but I have not tried indexing a single element, but building the 2D array again did not work... Anyhow ... Anyone from NI want to clarify for us if this is 'supposed' to be supported (I think I recall reading somewhere that multidimensional arrays are supposed to be supported) and if so, is there corrective action taking place?  Thanks

Greycat
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,834 Views)
This is interesting.  I just went it out to make sure that I knew what I was taking about.  I start off with a 2d array.  Break it into 1d arrays by column.  Rebuild it using the 'Build array' function and all is fine.  Try and rebuild it with a loop using the insert into array function (single dimensional array into 'insert into array' with column indicator but row left floating) and it does not work.  Refer to the below vi.  Funny though, since you were saying that you could not get it to inde a 2d by row or by column where I have no problem in that area ... anyone else have experience with this problem .... ?

Greycat

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,834 Views)
bump,

Anybody have any experience with this? ... NI? ....

Greycat
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,808 Views)
Hi Greycat,

I don't have the PDA module installed on my machine at the moment, but I believe 2D arrays should be supported in the PDA module. Have you contacted tech support about this?

Cheers,
Chris J
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,763 Views)
No I have not.  I have been very busy with this project lately.  I will contact NI about this in the near future though.  Thanks for the feedback.

Greycat
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,757 Views)
Hey Greycat,

I took a look at your VI and it does seem to be behaving oddly.  It goes through the first array fine, but the Insert Into Array seems to only work with the first row.  I will report this to R&D for you. 

Thanks!
Andy F.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
National Instruments
Message 8 of 10
(4,745 Views)
Thanks for refering this AndyF.  That is exactly what I found, it would only work on the first row but none after that.

Greycat

Message Edited by Greycat on 03-08-2006 06:35 AM

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,743 Views)
This was reported to R&D (# 3V9D42GI) and was fixed in LabVIEW 8.2 PDA. Here is a link to the current evaluation software download for LabVIEW.

Thanks!
Travis H.
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,345 Views)